Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin Early Season Archery

Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Wisconsin Early Season Archery

I know this is getting off topic, but my question is - "Have you used thermacells in archery season and deer are not bothered by them?" I know that they are unbelievable as they saved my bear hunt in Alberta, but I have been hesitant to use them with whitetails.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tell ya, I just got in from Coyote hunting and this was the worst I have EVER seen the Mosquitos, I had to leave early because they were just too much!!!!!! No Fun!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

The first couple weeks in Wisconsin are ussually a very productive time for me...I was out scouting this week and the bugs are sick!!! Like everyone else has said get between the bedding area and the feeding areas...Bucks might still be in their bachelor groups so ussually if you see one good buck theres a good chance of seeing another...Ussually evening hunts work best for me at this time of year...I am sure people have different experiences but this is just what i have observed..I have killed my biggest buck ever on sept 21...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:51 AM

Ill back up the motion to hunt between food and bedding. Watch the wind.

Thermocells rock! They also have "thermoscents" which give off oders like Accorn and Pine. Whitetails are not bothered by them in the least.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM

Early season in Wisconsin is all about food! I like hunting around the beans if they are still green come season.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

This time of the year at night you better be buy a hay filed thats where they are right now a nice field with a woodline is where i sit this time of the year at night. Remeber they are not moving far due to the heat so think of places with water