Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree stand shooting

Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 AM

Default RE: tree stand shooting

I have a 16' ladder stand that I always practice from in the backyard. This way my pins are set up for game time (meaning a hunting situation), not practice time. Iput outa block target or two and use my range finder just as I would in the woods. I personally feel like it's a way to remove one more variableI would haveadjust for when tension is running high, and I've had great success since doing so.

What you're talking about is also the theory behind penudlum sights I believe. The mechanics of the sight compensate A^2 + B^2 = C^2

Just as Wis Bo Huntr said, you need to aim a little lower when shooting from a tree with a bow that is sighted in on the ground. How much or how little depends on the setup, your height above ground, your target's distance away, etc. By sighting in from a tree, and practicing from a tree, all I need to do is worry about my yardage, not my yardage, and then remember to aim a little low... no, no, no, still a little lower.... sh*
Old 09-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

One of the main reasons for having to aim lower shooting down hill or up hill is the gravitational pull--Shooting down or up less pull from gravity!!!IMO!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: G_O_N

when you shoot your bow and you adjust your sight on the ground, is there a difference from when you shoot it from the tree stand? do you aim higher?
There is a difference in "Point of impact" from the ground to 20 feet up a tree.

For my bow @ 260FPS the difference is about 1 1/2" @ 27 yds.

Seems to me the actual difference - line of sight distance is some where around 2.5 yds. @ 30 yds.

I myself don't think it makes that much difference in real world hunting situations,BUT, if you know about it you might as well adjust your sights for it.

IMHO
Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 AM

I always practice from a tree before season opens but never notice a difference in my shooting.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the speed or droppage of your arrow, the height of the stand and how far the target is. To know how much tocompensate (now you have your triangle).The easy way to compensate would be to use your range finder and target a tree near your intended target measure your distance the same height up as your are in the stand and go with that distance.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

Thats why i bought the ol' Leupold RX-II takes out the math i was never too good at.
It uses more than just the pythagorean the theorem.It compensates for arc as well I believe.Which makes it a great product for hunting mountains.

The problem is that from hunting stand heigts,all this is way over rated.The biggest difference in a triangle is when the angle is increased,meaning,you have to be shooting very close to straight down for it to take effect.The problem with that is that the distance from your stand is so close it probably doesn't matter anyway.

When you increase the distance from the stand,the angle flattens out dramatically so very little compensation,IF ANY is needed.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me scratching head [8D]I always hated math [:@]
ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

A^2 + B^2 = C^2 so to find actual C distance we take the square root.

However as relating to the triangle of you in a tree.
You are not shooting the Hypotonuse you are shooting, the base distance.

so if A=base and B=height and C is the Seen distance, you need only shoot the A distance.

Hey it made sense to me when I wrote it.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

Thats why i bought the ol' Leupold RX-II takes out the math i was never too good at.
DITTO!!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I'm hunting from a stand, I will range an object directly in my line of sight, at the height I'm at. Subtract 2 yards, set my sight, and I'm dead on.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bend at the waist, pick a hair and give it to em.

23 yards from the tree is 23 yards from the tree...the difference in a range finder and the pythagorean theory is what, (we had the chart here some time ago), less than a yard, two at the most depending on extreme heights....in a hunting situation you can't shoot the difference, worst case, pick a hair under the hair you were going to shoot and remember to aim for the exit hole.

Quick Reply: tree stand shooting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.