Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does 28.5 in arrow w/ 29 in drawlength sound right

Old 01-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default does 28.5 in arrow w/ 29 in drawlength sound right

does a 28.5 in arrow with a 29 inch drawlength sound right?
Old 01-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:10 PM
CG

Default RE: does 28.5 in arrow w/ 29 in drawlength sound right

If you are drawing the end of your arrow 1/2" into the window, then it sounds right......If not then your bow's draw length is not 29".

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't there a standard for how far your arrow should be past your rest? Mine are a bit too long right now I believe, they stick out roughly 3" past my rest, and are 29" long with a 29" long draw length. I could probably afford to cut my arrows down by 2", but what would my benefits be compared to losing about 16-20 grains?
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:52 PM

I shoot a 27 inch draw and i shoot a 27 3/8 inch arrow with out the tip. The pro`s say you should have about and inch past you rest with out tip, but i tune alot and 3/8 works for me.
http://hometown.aol.com/mtelksniper/
Old 01-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I always found the best performance and used to trim my aluminum to about 3/4 inch(minus head) in front of my rest. However, when I went to the Muzzy I opted to leave them a little longer for the extra weight gain on the light carbons. With the Muzzy there is NO rest contact point so length is important only from a spine point of view.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Short answer = yes , I have a 28 inch draw and shoot 25 inch arrrows with a muzzy zerro effect ,with a prong style rest I shoot 27 inch arrows .

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 01-09-2003, 10:38 AM

Yes that is the correct length for that arrow or pretty close anyway. According to Easton your arrow should be 1 inch in front of where it contacts your rest. And if the rest is set up in correctly in the most forgiving position it will be right over your grip. The same point you would measure brace height and true draw from. AMO draw length is 1.75 inches past this point. So take your true draw and add one inch to it, or just subtract 3/4" from your amo draw, that is the proper length for your arrow.

It really does not matter though, as long as the arrow is spined correctly. The longer the arrow, the weaker the spine. The shorter the arrow, the stiffer the spine. It used to be short arrows and overdraws were all the rage. By using a shorter arrow it would make your arrow stiffer letting you drop to a different spine class, usually a lighter arrow. And since the arrow it's self would be smaller it would have less mass. Lighter arrows are faster, and speed is inticing. Now with the newer lighter carbon arrows overdraws are not really needed. If you want a lighter arrow, just get a lighter arrow. Don't bother with the overdraw and sacrifice a forgiving set up. Speed does not do you much good if you can't shoot consistantly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a longer arrow as long is spines right, you would just be shooting more weight than you needed to, and the longer the arrow the harder it is to get a higher FOC. I think it used to be arrows extended past your risor because the risors did not have sufficient cut outs in the risor to permit broad head clearance, or did not have large enough shelfs for safety. Those problems have been solved on the newer bows letting you have the tip of the arrow closer to the center line of your bow for a more forgiving set up. When torque is introduced to the bow, you want it to effect the arrow as little as possible. Having the pivot point and the tip of the arrow as close to the axis of the bow only makes sense when trying to reduce this effect.

Paul
Old 01-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do I measure my arrows? Always 1/2" past my knuckles, for a good reason.

Jake, yes, I think that sounds OK. I have a 33" draw, and shoot 33" arrows. As I said before, I leave my arrows a little past my knuchles, so they are a bit longer then most peoples standards. I am in the same area as you probably.