Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

No problems, valor. Have a great season.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

you don't hunt one square mile, you hunt 65 acres. By your admission. You base thisherd of yoursat 40 deer estimatedin a square mile, based on sightings of deer 326 times within your65 acres? 40 deer in a square mile is one thing, all 40 of those deer bieng spotted within the same 65 acres over and over is quite astounding.
Why is it so hard to comprehend that 40 deer, over the course of a 2-3 month season, may all cross that 65 acres at some point? Its not like he said he saw 40 deer per night living ONLY in his 65 acres.
Rybo is exactly right and to go one step farther, In one evening hunting just over the knoll from that 65 acres I physically counted over 40 some deer in roughly 3 hours......Now I KNOW many were the same deer (doe) over and over that came and went however(roughly 8 bucks), it's a fantastic place to hunt, I wish I had it so good. In 2 evenings and one morning I stopped counting that second evening at 75 sightings.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Great ending. But just to wrap this up....

Petty zoo or not?

Bowtech or Mathews?

Chevy or Toyota?

I'm still confused. And just a little bit of a smart a**.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I hunt only 65 acres. Given the parks system land (no one can hunt).....and the adjacent farms......I'd say I'm hunting deer that range (rut notwithstanding) one square mile.

46 hunts in '06 yielded sightings of 326 deer from stand. From those sightings....and trail cam photos.....I saw EXACTLY 3 deer that would go 3.5/3.5+ yrs old. I'm not naive enough to think I saw them all.....but how many are there? I'd hazard a guess I probably saw ....I don't know....at LEAST half of them??

So.....the odds of me taking a deer of this age are low. As of today.....I've only seen two on trail cam from this year's bunch (same I saw last year .... the number).

What are you facing (odds)?
Given the fact that a bucks home range will increase from 1 square mile now to upwards of 10 square miles once the rut kicks in...it is impossible to say...but that is the fun of it and that is why it requires state legislation for bucks to get to a mature age so that the browner downer 5 miles away doesn't shoot all of the baby bucks. Where I do my hunting during the rut I would guess there are perhaps 5-7 mature bucks at any given time lurking about and lots and lots of little ones. Where I hunt around home I would guess there are fewer...3-5 maybe.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is why it requires state legislation for bucks to get to a mature age so that the browner downer 5 miles away doesn't shoot all of the baby bucks.

You should run for elected office based on that political plank.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

that is why it requires state legislation for bucks to get to a mature age so that the browner downer 5 miles away doesn't shoot all of the baby bucks.

Will you and Atlas be my campaign managers?

It is inevitable...accept the change.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jelen

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Will you and Atlas be my campaign managers?
You probably have more problems then I could solve.

It is inevitable...accept the change.
LMAO. Hardley. Btw. I practice qdm personally and encourage my experienced hunting companions/aquaintances to do the same, but I don't believe in legislation to enforce it across the board. Let me know when Mr. Jelen goes to Washington