Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gary:

I can only tell you of the deer I have my sights on.......when I say I've seen him 3 years running, now......ALL sightings are within 350yds of one another.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I'm hoping he likes his home for a little while longer.
Like you I right down ever buck I see, hell i even have a database.

I have pile I seen once and never again, I have always wondered where did they go?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt pretty much six areas;
- 5 acres in my back yard.
- 16 acres of great land about five miles from my house.
- 98 acres of my fathers land, which is pretty good also, but a little out of the way.
- Two separate 100 acre lots that are somewhat close, but not that good of spots
- 45 acres that is pretty good, but I have to hunt with others when I go out there.

Of these areas I’m lucky to get one really good buck each year to hunt. I usually don’t get him, but sometime I will…
I like to walk around on the ground instead of being in the stand whenever the conditions cooperate, which probably doesn’t help my cause, but that’s how I like to do it.
I do fill my freezer with some tasty doe though…
Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

And I won't apologize for having a great place to hunt......which holds its' own group of "challenges".

I make no qualms about how I hunt, and you won't meet anyone who tries harder than I do.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Jeff,

Of the 326, how many were the same does, fawns, and young bucks?

I would guess in my area of 150sq miles I have about 3-5 mature bucks per square mile.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

NO way to know, Dan. That's the tough part.

Rob and I have talked often about wishing we could discern one from another. I see some does I can identify.....and some bucks (which are, of course, easier to identify).

My Bio. thinks I'm hunting a herd of 40-45 does and "some" bucks. I think more....but my thinking is merely a guess.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 PM

Hmmm, thats a good question, from all the properties I have to hunt, I am gonna throw a guess of a little over 20 with one property having atleast 7 on it (good thing about a large piece of post prime deer habitat that hasn't been hunted in probablly 15 years )
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM

I'm not sure where I'll be hunting this year but it will most likely all be public land. Anyone who hunts in lower Mich on public land knows that it can be a warzone once gunhunting starts up. luckily, i just found a piece of public land (67 acres) that is only open to bowhunting and I figure if I wait to hunt that while Mich gun season is going on I may have a shot at a decent buck when the gun hunters push all the deer to this piece of land. I haven't scouted much on this acreage but I've seen some decent tracks and it has all the places a good buck would hide,eat and bed. So I will guess that I'll pop a 8-10 point deer which is pretty big for this area.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea, my area is just to large, 800 acres that i hunt and it is surrounded by umpteen more acreage that i cant hunt, just no way of telling.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

I'm able to hunt all of the mature bucks on my property..... until I get one.

Last year I saw 12 that were 3 1/2 and older, all on 40 acres. I know that wasn't all of them.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hunt in atleast 2 different counties. probably going to be 4-6 different counties this year..

i really dont know. i dont spotlight. i dont use trail cams..all i know is what my buddies tell me they see and they only see a portion of the deer spotting and farming and driving around on a few farms at home.

all i really know this year, is theres one in one of my spots that is said to be 20+ wide. but its hard to say how old he is..i didnt see him...for all i know hes only 16 wide...last year in that spot there were atleast 2 that were said to be monsters. i seen one..i know he was 3.5+..the other wasnt seen after archery opened..

i like to think theres some in ALL my spots...but dont we all. honestly...i question my buck hunting ability...last year i dont think i seen over 20 deer in bow season. 5 were bucks. one was legal.

i know i made some rookie mistakes...got winded every hunt my first week...continued to hunt those stands all season long. overhunted my stands HARD core..i guess my scouting and hunting ability is there..i just gotta think before i head to the woods. last year, everytime i saw deer it was from a new stand, or a stand i havent hunted in a while.

noone was in my main spot at home for 3-4 weeks...rifle season opened and i was back in that spot and had the 3.5+yo whopper come by with another buck in tow that ive never seen before as well...hunted that stand 10+times before...i believe it was overhunting.

i got alot to learn..but im on the learning curve..or i like to think..one day i will be a buck hunter.

Quick Reply: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.