Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Default RE: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

On the one tract that I hunt close to home, that consists of 100 acres, with some adjacent land around it that totals another 150 or so, I saw 4 8's on one ridge one morning that would have score in the 100-115" range, which were probably 2 1/2-3 1/2 year olds and one 9 that a poacher shot that was 3 1/2 years old. I also saw an 8 with one side broken offthat was a 2 1/2 year old, a 1 1/2 year old 6,and a giant 10 that would dscore 150 or so.I saw 2 yearlings that were a 4 and a 6 respectively , anda few button heads along with dozens of does.I didn't put out a trail cam, and I didn't hunt there but about 5 weeks, since I was invaded with poachers when gunseason opened. Without any real hard evidence of what these clowns shot,I would say that have a good , solid chance at a decent buck, with some real choices. The adjacent land that is just north of me wasn't hunted at all, and have access to it this year, and I am going to start there, and rely on teh trail cam to give me a decent indication of what may or may have not survived the poaching last year on the south end. If it looks good--the pics from the trail cams--, I will be back in there toward the end of Sept and through Oct especially, and then go where I have seen the majority of the does after that. The land owner has seen a couple really nice bucks there near his house, and after seeing the big 10, I have no doubt that there are some really good bucks that I have not encounteed yet, so I expect some fairly good chances if I can keep the morons away this year.I have the Sheriff's dept patrolling, and teh game warden that arressted the 2 poachers I caught there last year will be checking as well. Th elandowner tha has teh land adjacent toteh south side,where the poachers entered my land has said that she will not allow these 2 on her land again. They used her land t get to mine. Their land is about 20 acres.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Not even a guess? Where's the harm?
I am dead nuts serious, I really don't know. How can any of ussay we really know?

Come rut they may be gone, more might come from another farm. You may push some off.

Guys may scout and see a few, but it's not all of them. I know they are there, and I just hope to see a few.

I have scouted a couple, but I saw those on our neighbors farm. Will they be where I can hunt? I really don't know, mature bucks in MI pretty much do not show themselves even in the summer.

The last 2 bucks I shot were not from my area. They were on the move.

All those picks Buckeye has are great, but come the rut if he has no does where he is hunting, good luck.

I just do not put much stock in hunting a certain buck, I am not smart enough to know what he is going to do come huntng season. I have some guesses, and I have guessed right sometimes, but most of the time I am wrong[8D]
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe thats why some of your post are taken out of context.

The PA game commission has a goal of between 10 -25 deer per forested square mile.Yet they consider the state 50 %-forested and 50 % open.So to get 10-25 deer pfsm you need 1280 acres to hold 10 - 25 deer.

To put that in easy terms at the bottom we have 1 deer per 128 acres to the top at 1 deer per 51 acres.

So damn few...........[:'(]
Old 08-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year while hunting our 2000acres in 5 diferent standsI seen 7 bucks between 120-140 and 3 bucks between 150-180. Not including the buck i got that scored 161 2/8 becauseI had never seen him beforeon camera or hunting until that day.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]

Come rut they may be gone, more might come from another farm. You may push some off.

Guys may scout and see a few, but it's not all of them. I know they are there, and I just hope to see a few.

I have scouted a couple, but I saw those on our neighbors farm. Will they be where I can hunt? I really don't know, mature bucks in MI pretty much do not show themselves even in the summer.

The last 2 bucks I shot were not from my area. They were on the move.

All those picks Buckeye has are great, but come the rut if he has no does where he is hunting, good luck.

I just do not put much stock in hunting a certain buck, I am not smart enough to know what he is going to do come huntng season. I have some guesses, and I have guessed right sometimes, but most of the time I am wrong[8D]
[/quote]

Good point, you never know what you will see...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you use this for the following season or just the season your hunting. I write down what I seen and what spot but thats about it.
That's yet to be seen, I guess.....lol

I mainly kept it to document the number of deer I see......in case anyone (like my wildlife Bio.) was interested. I'm well aware of the fact I'm seeing the same deer multiple times......but I'm still hunting a target rich environment....if hunting smaller deer's your "bag".

We'll see......I think the log will do me MORE good NEXT year.....when I can possibly detect a pattern as to when they shift off of different food sources. I won't bank much on it, this season.....though I will refer to it, often.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Gary:

I can only tell you of the deer I have my sights on.......when I say I've seen him 3 years running, now......ALL sightings are within 350yds of one another.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I'm hoping he likes his home for a little while longer.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

In what manner? I've always been up-front about these facts.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't count.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In what manner? I've always been up-front about these facts.
Just how you speak of killing deer like swatting a fly ,Some of us really have to try hunting for them .
I guess I would find it less challenging also if when I shot an arrow into the air there was A 50 - 50 a chance of ithitting the earth or a deer.Our chances lean more toward hitting the earth.

I will not see 300 deer in ten years hunting in PA.

Quick Reply: How many mature bucks are you able to hunt in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.