Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

most arrows...

Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: most arrows...

Jeff, no doubt you are right..about people not knowing the laws. im pretty good with things i should know...but never bowhunted so never really cared when i could shot a fox or a yote etc...so thats why i dont really know those..never hunted them either. you know me..and my major here at school....what kind of LE Ranger will i make if i am ignorant to laws i should be following myself? aint sayin im perfect...but i could drilled a couple different foxes now...just never knew the law on them so i never pulled the trigger..same with the yote i seen. i rather let the critter live to see another day and maybe take him next time after i check, than to break the law and find out later...im 20yrs old...i got a good 80yrs of huntin left to do...
Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot twice last year at the same deer and she kept spinning or dodging the arrows. I always carry 4 in my 4 arrow quiver but I only have 6 total so it really doesn't matter.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I emptied a quiver of 8 to get a deer once, many years ago when I only had a few bowkills under belt.

I was stillhunting in West Virginia when I spotted a couple deer feeding on the opposite hillside. I thought a stalk was in order.

I got within about 30 yds and was deciding whether to shoot or not. Suddenly another deer stepped up out of the brush at about 20yds.

I drew my bow only to have the arrow fall off of my TM arrowrest. I was at full draw and used my tongue to put the arrow back on the rest.

I shot but just barely hit the deer. I hit really, really low and back too far.

I waited a good while and started tracking. There was good blood because of the low hit.

I saw the deer up ahead but it was alive and with its head up looking at me at about 30 yds. I shot again but hit the dirt right in front of it. It got up and ran but I watched it lay down again. I snuck up and shot again but repeated the same thing.

This went on until I emptied the entire quiver with me hitting low.

I actually went back to where I missed a few shots and collected those arrows to try again. I pulled them out of the ground and cleaned off the dirt and debri.

My next shot I aimed a bit high to compensate. This time I put one through the ribs.

I found out later that my sight bracket was a bit loose and had moved.

Sorry for the long post. I thought I should explain how I emptied a whole quiver at a deer.

For some reason, even today, I like to have at least 5 or 6 arrows when I go out.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry three broadheads with arrows.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Out of 19 deer with compound/crossbow, one timeI needed a second shot. That'sbecause of a spine shot.[:@]So my answer is 2.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It took 4 out of my 5 arrow quiver a few years back to finally get my doe.

The first shot was about 9:00 in the morning. Bad hit, too far back. The arrow had a foul smell to it and she trotted off looking real hurt. I left and came back at 3:00. Followed her trail and jumped her after about 75 yards. She trotted off a little bit and looked back.I nocked an arrow and let fly. Hit a limb and completely missed. She took off and I watched her bed again. I snuck up on her and got another arrow in her from a severe quartering away angle. she jumped up again, and walked 20 yards away and stood there. Nocked another and put it thru her lungs. She was dead in a couple of seconds.

I really thought when I came back at 3:00 I would find her dead after a short trail.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Well I carry a 4 arrow quiver now. When I started bowhunting 10 years ago I had a 6 arrow quiver. My first year out, I emptied my entire quiver at a basket rack 6 point. Never hit it once because of my nerves. It was around 1 p.m. and the rut was in. I had no idea what the rut even was at that time because I came from a long line of rifle hunters who never really got to hunt the rut. Now, at most I usually shoot 2 a hunt. I like to keep a spare for those chattering squirrels.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I carry 2 with broadheads and one target point for pinnin them groundhogs to the clover........
Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 5 quiver so I take 5 into the woods with me. 5 is probably the highest I would ever go. Too bad I don't have as many target options as the rest of you guys![8D]
Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got a doe with one shot...then had more tags/arrows so I went for Another one..missed her..and shot at another one behind her!