Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

homemade treestand?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default homemade treestand?

i dont want nothin fancy, but somethin just to get me off the ground to see what deer are moving in so i can hang a stand if its a good spot just something easy if not ill just do it my way. lol. and thats not good. lol. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: homemade treestand?

I have made a couple home made woodenhang onsbut I will advise against it. If you want to go home made, build a good sturdy ladderstand.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Considering the risk it's not worth it to make home builts. There's also weight to consider, a Summit Open Shot weighs 14# and climbs, it's also very safe and relatively inexpensive. A comparable home built would weigh more, probably couldn't climb, and is rather likely to kill you. Why risk a broken neck when there are plenty of acceptable manufactured ones to choose from?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:45 AM

Remington Lock on stand 60.00
I hated the seat so I made me a bigger seat just welded some angle iron onto it and screwed a cut board on. But it was cheap. I think you could buy it cheaper than make a homemade one that was actually usable!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Permanent or mobile?

Permanent ones are easy to build. You just need common sense, tools and bit of experience.

Mobile ones are another thing entirely. A buddy of mine made one out of metal/aluminum. It weighed like a son of a gun and ended up costing him more than just buying one. I guess if it's more of a hobby then it's probably worth it.

The only bad thing about a homemade stand is that when it fails you're the only one to blame....

Tom
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wal-Mart sells an ameristep stand for $49.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have made several wooden box stands that are in trees that form a Y but you must us treated wood and inspect the wood very closely every year and try to close them off with a tarp in the off season so they will last a lot longer as for one you can move around i think you are simply asking for trouble.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:40 AM

There was some kind of design in this Whitetail Hunting Library book or something like that. It had a felt platform with plywood and it only had like a swing bracing on the bottom. and it tied around the tree. I would NEVER use this. I dont think I would last 2 secs in that thing.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Do you have a Dunhams Sports store near you, the one near me has a hangon tree stand for $34 no joke, also try their website www.dunhamssports.com they might have something cheap there.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

go to gander mountain or Dicks they have lock ons for 30 and 40 dollars better than falling out of a tree. But if your hell bent on making on go the ladder stand route. It will be heavy as hell to carry in to your spot!

Quick Reply: homemade treestand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.