Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how deer die

Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Default RE: how deer die

Hey 38bears....can you comment about the relationship between broadhead blade sharpness and the chances for recovering an expired deer? We couldn't seem to reach concensus on another thread. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Just to dumb it down a bit,they die quick when you hit them in the pump house.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info very informative and interesting
Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post....we should change our team name to team hypovolemic shock
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

good post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 PM

BKE yes a double lung shot can be mass lung tissue damage if you hit the part of the lung located closer to the bronchioles where the trachea splits into two. Basically, the distil part of the lung will not receive blood or oxygen. What I was trying to say is the closer you hit to the shoulder the better. If you hit the lower lobes of the lungs, they can seal themselves off and the deer can keep on living a normal life that is if a tension pneumo-thorax or a hemothorax is not present.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM

To answer the question pertaining to blade sharpness in my experience I have seen many impaled objects the patient has a greater chance of survival the less sharp the object is. The reason being is that dull objects tend to push hard organs such as the heart, liver, spleen, and even some arteries out of the way instead of penetrating them. Also blade sharpness helps reduce inflicted pain on the animal, the more you penetrate the more it bleed the quicker you die, the less you suffer.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks, 38bears.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM

you must really know how to pick up chicks!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: 38bears

BKE yes a double lung shot can be mass lung tissue damage if you hit the part of the lung located closer to the bronchioles where the trachea splits into two. Basically, the distil part of the lung will not receive blood or oxygen. What I was trying to say is the closer you hit to the shoulder the better. If you hit the lower lobes of the lungs, they can seal themselves off and the deer can keep on living a normal life that is if a tension pneumo-thorax or a hemothorax is not present.
Do you not mean upper lobes? If your closer to the shoulder the better as you said, then your into the lower lobes. I understand the upper lobes as having less blood vessels....(pertaining to whitetails, not humans)

Quick Reply: how deer die

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.