Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Often overlooked scent control

Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Often overlooked scent control

ORIGINAL: WARedBear

I think one of the most over looked item is our vehicle. We spend all this time and money descenting ourselves and then sit in a seat that is probably pretty rancid with odors. I always wash a few towels to put in my backpack for various uses. I put two of them on the seat to keep my pants and shirt off the smelly seat.

Don't forget your safety harness. I'm thinking about dipping all of my staps in the washer water and hanging them out to dry with my last batch of descented clothes. Actually all of my clothes are descented and have been fermenting in a tote with cedar chips for a month now. All I need to wash are my packs, my stand cloth and my staps.

Just thought of something else...your calls, rattle bags (or horns) and other things you have in the stand with you.

Smelling Fresh
Reid
Instead of using towels give some thought to using/wearing a set of cheap coveralls that have been washed like your hunting clothes. I wear a set of cheap coveralls over my hunting clothes when driving out for the reasons you mention.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

I don't usually put on my hunting clothes until I get out of the truck (except the innermost layer, which I also wash in sport wash...yes even my undies!). But I like to put down (unused) plastic garbage bags underneath my equipment when I transport it.

Ilaunder my cloth neck straps for my calls, etc. at the beginning of the season and at least once or twice more during season (and always spraythem with Scent Killer when I hunt). I also wash off my calls, cough suppressor, etc.before each hunt.

What do you guys do about the insides of your boots?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget your bow and quiver either!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you guys even have time to hunt after spending so much time trying to eliminate all this stink?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Before I wash anything in the washer, i wash an empty load with baking soda and wipe out the frabic softener dispensor. There's always a ton of soap residue and frabric softener from previous loads. You'd be surprised how much soap is still in there.