Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

True or False.....

Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default True or False.....

True or False...

The natural maturation process of a whitetail deer finds him (as he grow older) somewhere in the process of becoming completely nocturnal.

I'll let that statement stand on the caveat that we all realizea buck willlet down his guard during the rut. Even still....don't we think he does this less and less as hematures?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: True or False.....

It seems that way since you don't really see the bruisers unless dead in a pick-up or on trailcams.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think going nocturnal is necessarily the natural end result of maturity. IMO, it depends on how heavily the deer is pressured and how the humans that have hunted him have trained him.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I completely agree.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes and No to thissimply "MY" opinion ,sure as a buck get's older he get's wiser ,and depend's on his cover more and more ,but early season you can, and will find these buck's grazing in field's in daylight hr's ,espeacially early summer and just after the rut when they go to heavy feeding pattern's .As hunting pressure begin's ,these buck do all but disappear ,they depend on their instinct's and alway's wait till the last deer is in the field before they come out .

This is simply my opinion and my experience's .

nubo
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

So, Arthur....in a state in which a mature whitetail is not pressured......he is just as easy topattern as a juvenile buck? In other words.....he'll show himself in daylight just as much as any other buck?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, Arthur....in a state in which a mature whitetail is not pressured......he is just as easy topattern as a juvenile buck? In other words.....he'll show himself in daylight just as much as any other buck?
Yup. He's a deer, ain't he? If he's never been hunted, he has no reason to change his natural patterns.

I vote true, for the most part....

It would seem this is a true statement. "COMPLETELY" nocturnal...No , I don't believe so. A whitetail deer still needs to get up and feed every 4-6 hours. I believe mature bucks find a core/bedding area that allows them to get up to feed and stretch their legs in a very confined , protected spot that hunters don't go.
We've all seen mature bucks in the middle of the day in some unexpected place before the season opens.
During the first week of archery season,I see mature bucks. They seem to dissapear after that. I think it's related to hunter activity. Small game and turkey hunters move around without concern for deer. They just don't take chances.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup. He's a deer, ain't he? If he's never been hunted, he has no reason to change his natural patterns.
I agree, we ice fished off of lake Ontario there was a "deer farm" that did not remove antlers we would see massive bucks in daylight all the time. You remove predators and pressure and what would make them go nocturnal?

Quick Reply: True or False.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.