Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

True or False.....

Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: True or False.....

So there is nothing "natural" about a whitetail buck resorting to complete nocturnal activity?

Is this assumption true or false?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mostly true,

In most areas, if the buck doesn't go mostly nocturnal, then he probably won't mature.

I also don't think that most big bucks go completely nocturnal. I think they find a core area they feel
comfortable with and greatly limit their movements during the day to that area.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a good question. I'm sure somebody who has pen raised deer could tell you. Logic would
tell you that without pressure, the deer would just as soon graze in daylight as in the dark.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 AM

It really depends on what you call an old deer. Deer will becoming in "hiddening" after they turn 4+years because of the three year olds become the dominate bucks and just want to fight. Pressure plays a lot on if a deer becomes naturnal as well. But in a perfect world as the deer ages he becomes dominate and will cruise around whenever he wants... as he ages to 4+ years the younger deer want to kick his ass and he becomes less and less active..... Deer during the cold months will sleep about 80% of the day. During the summer months they will sleep 50% of the day eating whenever possible to prepare for the rut.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm starting to like this guy
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I don't think going nocturnal is necessarily the natural end result of maturity. IMO, it depends on how heavily the deer is pressured and how the humans that have hunted him have trained him.
well said, I agree.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've read that as a buck matures, he doesn't need to always be feeding as much, therefore can layup much more during the daylight hours, making it seem like he is getting mroe nocturnal. Depends on whether I should believe that or not, I forget where I read/heard it.

Now from a pressure standpoint I thinkbucks learn REAL quickto only move after dark or be dead.

My own personal beliefs based on reading and observing are that a mature buck going nocturnal is 20% of his own doing and 80% of his surroundings(pressure).
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a power plant close buy and the land isabout3 miles long 2 miles wide and no one could hunt it. We would see big bucks at all times of the day driving around it. They sold the back 1/2 of the 3 mi part and now let a fewEdison workers hunt it and now we dont see half the deer and hardly ever seea big buck.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

i agree with they get wiser and it hass to do with how they have been taught
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM

If that were true, then there would never, ever be a mature buck taken exept during the rut. Unfortunately, that isn't the case.look at the record books.Are they more likely to be seen during daytime while in the rut, then yes. How many mature bucks have you seen in a field while still in velvet? Do they get more careless, and less nocturnally ordered as the rut progresses--yes. Completely--no. In some cases, as individuals, there are those that would, but not the sum total. Huting pressure would certainly affect it, but then after the pressure subsides, then they go back to theie core areas, which may or may not involve a great deal of nocturnal movement, but not solely.

Quick Reply: True or False.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.