Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I would enter the animal.
57.80%
No, I would not enter the animal.
29.48%
Not able to say without having to actually make the decision.
12.72%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

If you shot a P&Y qualifier this fall would you enter it?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: If you shot a P&Y qualifier this fall would you enter it?

I have shot a few different species in different parts of the world that have made their prespective "record books" but I have yet to enter one. Not really sure why though. I guess I just am not that big of a "book" hunter. I do it for myself, not for everyone else. The one I am the proudest of is a Coues 4x4 I arrowed in AZ at 12 yards. Being a Minnesota farm boy I thought it was a little bity buck. I stopped into a sportsman center on the way home and the guy asked if I had seen anything I told him I just shot one bigger than he had on the wall. He said "BS" When I showed it to him, he was shocked that I had gotten it with a bow. Told me I better get it scored because it would be close to 90. I had to get it weighed also and it weighed 97 lbs dressed and the bioligist said it was the biggest one he had ever weighed there. I just laughed because I was so used to the deer in MN.
Anyways I finally had the rack scored about two years later. It scored 86 5/8. The guy gave me the paperwork to register it......I've never done it. I think I might still have it in my file cabinet. LOL
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

We need an energizer bunny smiley for these threads that just keep on going.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

The data is incomplete because hunters refuse to participate. It's skewed to areas that "participate".

It's also skewed because they use a net score.....a net score gives no true picture of how big a buck really was. A 190 class buck could net in the 160's and a 180 class in the 170's....skewed.....I'll take the 190 and keep it to myself.
At least the buck is registered in the data and goes down as is (net) keeping the gross to yourself does nothing for data recording. imo

You used the term "skewed" and imo using a net score is skewed. Maybe my view is different because I hunt an area that a bucks rack is far from perfect.....i.e. many stickers and "deductions".....to me that is taking away from a bucks true rack makeup and is giving a "skewed" score and is inaccurate.

I refuse to see the point in trying to base the score of a buck on a perfect rack......its lame and does the animal injustice.....imo.
Dan, don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and wish the deer would get credit for everything that it grows...however, like all aspects of life, rules are rules and it still offers data throughout the US as far as buck quality densities if, IF people would enter them.

Again, I totally agree with the gross score....but it is what it is.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Absolutly..........A shoulder mount with a P&Y Certificate next to it along with a field picture I think looks awesome
Bird-What was your score on this buck?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

At this time the answer is no.I have a few that were officially scored,but I never mailed in the application and score sheet.I decided it was not that important to me.