Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I would enter the animal.
57.80%
No, I would not enter the animal.
29.48%
Not able to say without having to actually make the decision.
12.72%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

If you shot a P&Y qualifier this fall would you enter it?

Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Default RE: If you shot a P&Y qualifier this fall would you enter it?

Just for my own clarification, because after reading so many pages, my wee little brain is a bit confused....

You do NOT have to join the P & Y club to enter an animal, correct? Just pay the $25 administration fee, right? That's the way I understand it, and "joining the P & Y club" seems to be tossed around as synonomous......
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Bartender

That is correct
https://www.pope-young.org/entryreq.asp
Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Bartender

To be a member you have to have harvested one big game animal with a bow & arrow.
https://www.pope-young.org/membership.asp
Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

The data is incomplete because hunters refuse to participate. It's skewed to areas that "participate".

It's also skewed because they use a net score.....a net score gives no true picture of how big a buck really was. A 190 class buck could net in the 160's and a 180 class in the 170's....skewed.....I'll take the 190 and keep it to myself.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: _Dan

The data is incomplete because hunters refuse to participate. It's skewed to areas that "participate".

It's also skewed because they use a net score.....a net score gives no true picture of how big a buck really was. A 190 class buck could net in the 160's and a 180 class in the 170's....skewed.....I'll take the 190 and keep it to myself.
At least the buck is registered in the data and goes down as is (net) keeping the gross to yourself does nothing for data recording. imo
Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you record your deer you become part of History for all time! Hallelujah....
Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally wouldnt (didnt) and wont. Its not worth the $25 to see my name in a book. Since I feel it doesnt really respect the animal any, and its mostly to bolster a hunter's ego (obviously not saying that for everyone), its just not worth the time to me. I also wouldnt want to have an " * " beside it because my bow is 70% letoff.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

At least the buck is registered in the data and goes down as is (net) keeping the gross to yourself does nothing for data recording. imo

You used the term "skewed" and imo using a net score is skewed. Maybe my view is different because I hunt an area that a bucks rack is far from perfect.....i.e. many stickers and "deductions".....to me that is taking away from a bucks true rack makeup and is giving a "skewed" score and is inaccurate.

I refuse to see the point in trying to base the score of a buck on a perfect rack......its lame and does the animal injustice.....imo.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally would not enter it.Likely if I shot a P&Y qualifier it would just make it because of liklihood of killing a buck of that magnitude in my area is extremely remote.The honoring of the animal is personal and unquestioned as far as I am concerned so I wouldn't need to see it's score in the book for that purpose.
Selfishly if I were doing it on a consistent basis I wouldn't want the notoriety or attention of the rest of the hunting community.I am willing to bet that many of us here have people following our whereabouts as it is now without making that situation worse.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep DAN nets are for fish!!!!!!!!!I agree!! Walt

Quick Reply: If you shot a P&Y qualifier this fall would you enter it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.