Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any spots here stand out? (updated with arial)

Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default any spots here stand out? (updated with arial)

This is a new location that I've got permission to hunt this year. any areas here stand out as being potential hot spots? Mostly pine/oak woods, with a few thicker areas. Ariel soon to come as I find one that I can save, has enough detail, and can be run on windows me (that counts out google earth). Everything to the right of the red area is public ground, the red is the boundary, and to the left, I can also hunt.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
OGW

Default RE: any spots here stand out?

I like these areas for thier transition from the creek bed to more level ground. Cover, Water, and Food.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I like hunting the vallies where the water is. All animals have to come there sooner or later. I would walk the valley and see where the animals are coming down to get a drink. That is what I did this weekend. A friend has permission to hunt a 200 acre track. We walked around for about 3 hours Saturday and we crossed numerious game trails. We finally found a small valley that had a small trickle of water. The banks were steep and cut into the ground from run off. We found one spot where the banks were level with the ground and there are two huge game trails cutting across it. I dug out two spots to collect water, picked out a tree, trimmed the lower branches, walked around and cleared some shooting lanes. I'm going back tonight to cut down a dead tree (6" diameter) so I can put my climber on the stand. I'm also going to lay in some corn, and after reading a post this morning, maybe some vanilla.

Good luck scouting.

Hopeful
Reid
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

OGW - funny you should mention that. Iput a stand in both of those areas. They are very gently sloping washouts, the rest of the mountain is very steep. The biggest problem I see with these spots, is the deer feed in the field, and I'm going to have trouble sneaking cmopletely around unseen.

The top of the mountain those valleys come off of is a 12 year old clear cut.

The valley coming out closest to the field (the white area), i think will be a good hot spot during the rut. The does feed out in the field (its really a yard with persimmon trees, wild grasses, etc), and I've seen some good bucks also feeding in it. I'm thinking that if i sneak around the field entirely, and set up on that saddle, I've got a good chance of intercepting bucks following does back to the bedding area in the clear cut.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
OGW

Josh, Is this the place southeast of Berkeley Springs???
Old 08-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

its pretty much directly due east of berkeley springs. sleepy creek WMA, but this is a private block of land boardering the public hunting area.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:47 PM
OGW

Good Luck this year Josh!
I'll be down/over in Harrison County near Clarksburg..trying to keep my Dad from shooting thedinks...LOL
Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

What's in those fields Josh? Especially on the right side of the property, is that a good sized pond or lake? Lot's of good looking spots. I'd look for oak flats that act as funnels...
Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh ill tel ya what stands out when i look at that is the big red square haha sorry i dont understand those maps!! Good Luck!!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

rob - the very right corner is an old christmas tree farm. Old abandoned house, and rows of pine trees about 6 - 10" around. That is a pond, witha nother abandoned house and extremely thick brush, but due to the way of the wind, I havent yet found a good way to hunt it. The white area to the left of the pond is that brush.

I also found an ariel photo, but its almost 1 mb, and I cant really downsize it. Can anyone host it? hunt101.com allows a max of 500 kb

Quick Reply: any spots here stand out? (updated with arial)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.