Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 Montecs... Wow.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Fran;

I'm shooting Montecs off my Mace as well. Of course I took a different path than you on speed and arrow specs.

I'm shooting a Axis FMJ 400, with a 100gr Montec. Total weight of 454gr. Speed is 282fps at 64#s.

With broadheads, I am the opposite however. I am a big stickler on having my heads SUPER sharp. Which is a part of the reason, of course, that I shoot Montecs, because they are easy to sharpen.

As to what everyone is saying about Montecs not being sharp right out of the package. I tend to agree. Admittingly, most if not all broadheads I have ever looked over are not sharp enough for my likeing right out of the box. The montecs aren't even close. But there again, I'm used to sharpening broadheads, and I automatically expect to whenever I buy some. Sort of like buying a "ready to shoot" bow package.... you cannot really expect the thing to be 100% ready to go.

Sharpening up a broadhead, or touching one up.... whatever.... not a big deal to me. If it shoots well off your bow, is tough, and you can get it sharp.... done deal.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

77# KE with 285 gr. arrow @ 350 fps.

A couple of the guys who I hunt with - they're in the 90# KE range. I can't figure out what they use as a broadhead target. LOL
My KE is higher than that, too....and my BH targt won't make it through another season. $50 for1+ seasons......and I can't shoot through the sides of it any more.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well quick,

I don't know about Montecs, but thanks to your PSA earlier I lot of people will be checking out
the Strikers in a couple weeks.

Little Chief, I just sprung for one of those G5 sharpeners. I had a real tough time shelling out
the bucks on that, but it is a well made product and sharpened a knife quickly and easily.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I just bought and tried out a pack of 100 gr. montecs. So far I am impressed. At 300 FPS out to 30 yards they flew like darts. I haven't had a chance to shoot them at longer distances. One thing I did notice however, they made slight hissing sound at 30 yards.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot Montecs last year and I fell in love with them. I completly busted the shoulder blade on my way to an ALMOST complete pass through on my 9 pointer.(there was about 3 inches left in the deer as it took off).

They fly true with my broadheads and I can consitently hit the spot at 40 yards which is plenty good enough for me.Never hunted with a broadhead with this much penetration.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

If they were sharp out of the package that's definitely a change for them. The ones I bought last year were duller than a butter knife. I had to buy their stupid $30 sharpening stone to sharpen $70 worth of broadheads.[:@]

Sold the Montecs, switched to Slick Tricks and have never looked back. Shouldn't have to sharpen a $10 broadhead straight out of the package IMO.
Agreed. I have found the Montects to fly true, but then again most broadheads do, so that is not an issue for me. Quick/humane kills come are caused by massive hemorrhaging, so you owe it to the animal to use as sharp a broadhead as you can.I currently shootSilver Flames (unmatched for sharpness), but there are many other brands that are razor sharp out of the package that are more affordable...just no excuse for a manufacturer to put them on the shelves if they are not ready to be hunted.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

Guys, I just bought and tried out a pack of 100 gr. montecs. So far I am impressed. At 300 FPS out to 30 yards they flew like darts. I haven't had a chance to shoot them at longer distances. One thing I did notice however, they made slight hissing sound at 30 yards.
Thats the reason I dont shoot them. Couldnt get the damn things to be quiet.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

BTW: wasn't trying to slam the Montecs...I love the solid design. I'd probably have them on the top of my list (well, maybe 2nd after the Flames) if it wasn't for the sharpness issue. Facts are facts...hemorraghing is caused from massive discharge of blood from blood vessels. The more that can be cut, and cut cleanly, the more blood loss. Clean cuts bleed rapidly...jagged, punched cuts clot quickly.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

BTW: wasn't trying to slam the Montecs...I love the solid design. I'd probably have them on the top of my list (well, maybe 2nd after the Flames) if it wasn't for the sharpness issue. Facts are facts...hemorraghing is caused from massive discharge of blood from blood vessels. The more that can be cut, and cut cleanly, the more blood loss. Clean cuts bleed rapidly...jagged, punched cuts clot quickly.
I understand what you're saying, and agree with you 100%, but I still don't understand the problem if I can make them sharp, and it's easy to do. As I said before, I can practice with the actual broadheads I'm going to hunt with and touch them back up. Sure, there may be a little more work at the front end if you get some that aren't super sharp, but I'll never have to buy replacement blades. As to everyone saying they "whistle", I sure haven't heard it. The only sound I hear is when they hit the target. I wonder why some hear a noise and some dont?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Red Bore. The broahead needs to cut every thing it comes in contact with. A deer can live with a hole in it. Its all the damage inbetween the holes that kills him. Sounds like the montecs are the same old dull blade, I will stick to their G5 strikers. Guys, make sure them blades are as sharp as the ones you shave your face with.

Quick Reply: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.