Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 Montecs... Wow.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Montecs also sell practice broadheads, so you don't have to dull your hunting tips. I took a buck last year and I got fantastic peneration.
I went to sharpen the blade I used last year , but noticed that the tip was blunted slightly compared to the ones that didn't get shot. Not sure if it can be sharpened. But overall They were great
Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

GERM,
I shoot 125 grain Montecs.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to "scary" sharp broadheads out of the package. I understand that they need to be razor sharp to hunt with, but the Montecs are so easy to sharpen that it doesn't matter to me. Even if they consistently came super sharp, you'd still end up having to sharpen them eventually.
I also bought their "pricey" sharpening steel, but to me, it's well worth it, and so are the Montecs. There rugged, one piece, easy to sharpen (I can practice with my hunting BHs and then touch them up), and above and beyond all of that, they're dead on accurate, as Quicksilver said.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

my 85gr montecs were DULL!!! and the practice head sings a song during flight.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Gotta love those Montecs
Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Fran!!!! I was just wondering earlier today if you had shot BH's with the mace yet. It's great to hear that they flew like darts. I guess that just goes to show you, If you have well tuned equipment you can shoot broadheads at about any speed. I'm glad you didn't let the naysayers get to you and to beat it all you proved them all wrong.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rankbull

I love the Montecs but the sharpness seems to change from pack to pack

I have to agree with this.

I've shot thunderhead 125 for years, and last year shot 4 blade muzzies. Both were exeptional broadheads in my eyes, and both have flown well.I've killed many bucks with them. This year I switched to 125grMontecs(hype), and I'm ready to switch back to the muzzies before the season starts. The Montecs are dull beyond belief, they almost seem likeplastic or somthing(I had to take a closer look to make sure they weren't the practice heads.........not impressed by any means. I can't say they didn't fly well though...........the hell with them anyway. If you touch a 4 blade muzzy the wrong way your gonna get cut in a heartbeat........you won't get that with the Montec.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to "scary" sharp broadheads out of the package. I understand that they need to be razor sharp to hunt with, but the Montecs are so easy to sharpen that it doesn't matter to me. Even if they consistently came super sharp, you'd still end up having to sharpen them eventually.
Yep. What he said. I shoot 100 grain Montechs. I cound "retune" my bow to shootother fixed blade broadheadsto get them flying like field points off my bow, or I can shoot the Montecs that already fly like field points without any "tuning". It ain't like they're hard to sharpen.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot them and they worked well,but the rage 2 blade got me hooked i will not change. They are awsome
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not much of a "sharp broadhead" guy, so I'm a bad person to ask about the condition of the blades. I mean, they felt pretty sharp - sliced right down through the foam in my quiver - even AFTER 20-30 shots into the block.

Hell, I killed a doe by accident one time with a muzzy practice head. I mean, Ishot her on purpose, but used the wrong arrow - by accident. [:-]

I'm always well into the 70-80# KE range, so I'm more or less just looking for a head that won't dissintigrate or plane all over the place. It could be duller than a butter knife, and will do the job just fine.

Accuracy
Durability
Sharpness

That's how I prioritize my broadhead analysis. Our deer around here aren't particularly huge, and I think I'm putting out enough KE to hunt Buffalo. Obviously, the farther you slide the KE number down, the more emphasis it places on having a razor sharp head. Durability isn't as much of a factor for a guy shooting 50# of KE.

I really liked the muzzy heads, but they just didn't shoot as consistently for me - and I kept breaking the blasted things. Right where the trocar tip threads onto the aluminum ferrule - it would snap off at the threads. That, and I'd always seem to bend up the blades, or dull them down after one shot.

If anyone wants to trade - I have about a dozen muzzy 100 3-bladers - most all of them need the blades replaced. I'd gladly swap them for some Montec 85's.

Chris - Man, I was happy when I centered the pin on the bullseye and buried it right in there. I've had no less than 30 people tell me that I'll never get a broadhead to fly on that arrow. Wrong. LOL You know I ate that up.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Im trying out the G5 montechs this year afterseeing the results that my friend had with the heads and he shoots the exact same set up as i do.

Quick Reply: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.