Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EHD, have heard of it, now i fear it

Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EHD, have heard of it, now i fear it

Yes, the found it here in South Western Pennsylvania as PA Bow/Flinter said.

This happens to be right where I hunt. Bummer
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is not spread by a mosquito, but by a gnat that hatches out of the mud. It is especially bad when the level of ponds go down, leaving mud flats exposed.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I read about that Bloodcreek. here in westcentral Indiana we were hit hard by it last season. I know it made for some hard hunting and the deer numbers and harvest were way down. We found quite a few dead deer.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM

My dad was telling me that 30 some deer were found dead in some parts of SW VA last week. They pretty much die in the water since they get so hot and thirsty. We need a good cold snap soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

We've got it in Southern IL. But not as bad as expected according to the state wildlife biologist. I found a nice buck last monday afternoon standing in the shade and looking sick. Dropping lots of foam from the mouth. I pulled the 4 wheeler right up to him and he never even flinched. Tuesday was just the same. I knew he was dying, no two ways about it. Saturday I went back and sure enough, he was dead. Here's whats crazy. In just a few days, that deer had disolved into nothing but a skeleton. No hair or hide except around the head. No organs, no nothing. And the coyotes and buzzards hadn't touched it. That carcass is still 100% intact. At least the skeleton. It was clean all the way to the bone. I took pics on my camera on the phone, and if I can ever figure out how to get them from phone to computer I'll post 'em.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder about this to, I have not heard nothing on this yet.
ORIGINAL: dws

Would this effect the safety of the meat, I mean if you harvested a deer that contracted this disease but had not had it long enough to appear sick or die?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW, that is one of the symptoms i have read about, loose fear to normal danger. I found a doe about 10 years ago that nothing would touch either. The bones arestill there to this day.
ORIGINAL: shawneeslinger

We've got it in Southern IL. But not as bad as expected according to the state wildlife biologist. I found a nice buck last monday afternoon standing in the shade and looking sick. Dropping lots of foam from the mouth. I pulled the 4 wheeler right up to him and he never even flinched. Tuesday was just the same. I knew he was dying, no two ways about it. Saturday I went back and sure enough, he was dead. Here's whats crazy. In just a few days, that deer had disolved into nothing but a skeleton. No hair or hide except around the head. No organs, no nothing. And the coyotes and buzzards hadn't touched it. That carcass is still 100% intact. At least the skeleton. It was clean all the way to the bone. I took pics on my camera on the phone, and if I can ever figure out how to get them from phone to computer I'll post 'em.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

As far as eating the meat goes, everything I've seen and what I heard from the DNR biologist says that you can eat it, it shouldn't bother humans. But truthfully, I've never been that hungry. Eating something that died from a disease isn't natural. If the yotes and the buzzards aren't interested, ME NEITHER!!! I'm telling you, even while that deer was still alive, it gave off a pretty foul smell. I am certain Emeril's Southwest Essence couldn't even cover it up.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clinical Signs

Clinical signs of EHD and bluetongue are very similar.

White-tailed deer develop signs of illness about 7 days after exposure. A constant characteristic of the disease is its sudden onset. Deer initially lose their appetite and fear of man, grow progressively weaker, often salivate excessively, develop a rapid pulse and respiration rate, and finally become unconscious. Hemorrhage and lack of oxygen in the blood results in a blue appearance of the oral mucosa, hence the name 'bluetongue'. Eight to 36 hours following the onset of observable signs, deer pass into a shock-like state, become prostrate and die.