Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Red oak acorns ?

Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Red oak acorns ?

Do red oaks still draw deer. I know they love white oak acorns,but will they come in to red oaks if there are no white oaks in the area? I think the spot I just got permision to hunt has a good stand of red oaks. I don't think there are many white oaks in the area.

[/align]
Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Red oak acorns ?

Sure do, reds, blacks, bur, live, chestnut, white, chinkapin they will come to all of these oaks. Some more than others but sooner or later they will come. Whites and Chestnut oaks seem to be the sweetest and they will go to them if they have a choice.

Paul
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, deer love the sweeter white oak acorns over the more bitter red oak acorns.

Deer do eat the reds but my experience is that they prefer other foods over them.

If apples are falling near by, I think they would go after them first. If there is a field of corn or soybeans nearby they'll be hitting that.

Remember where these red oaks are, because later in the season, when everything else is gone, they'll come looking for those red oak acorns.

Ever see the snow and leaves all kicked up in the winter with deer tracks all around? Chances are, there are red oak acorns under that snow and that is what they are after.

My father has red oak trees in his yard.He has acorns all over his drive way. Deer don't bother eating them until late in the winter.

Look around in your area. Maybe there are a few white oaks there. Remember, white oaks don't drop every year like the reds.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of my spots has tons of red oaks and the deer vacuum them up. When the white oaks start dropping they are the place to be, but the red oaks still keep the deer filled up.