Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone had lasik??

Old 08-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone had lasik??

I am getting lasik in december and was wondering if anyone can give me feedback on their experiences with the procedure, whether it be first hand or heresay. I am pretty pumped and can't wait to SEE the results!! anyone able to share their experience???
Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone had lasik??

It was the best thing I've ever done for myself! I had it done about 5 years ago and my vision is great! I'm starting to have problems close up,(I'm 48) but far away everything is still great! I would have paid 10 times what they charged me!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

My mother and her husband both had Lasik done and are very happy they did. They both got rid of their glasses except for reading purposes.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have had the procedure done twice (I have astigmasism so my eyes change over time). The only reason I had it done was so that I could hunt without glasses. I used to hate my glasses when I was working hard or especially whenI was carrying a somewhat heavy pack through the swamps to my stand andmy glasseswould fog up...or sweat would drip on them..or the rain would mess them up while hunting...or trying to see trough binocs or scopes...etc etc.

After the procedure (which is really nothing...felt nothing)they ususally drug you and cover your eyes with a translucent, hard plastic cover. I just slept until the next day because of the drugs. But when I woke up, I looked at the clock (like a lot of peeple do the first thing after the surgery) and there it is in perfect focus. Man..you really can't appreciate how wonderful the feeling is for the first time unless you have experienced it. Now I don't have all of the problems I mentioned above and have 20/20 vision. One of the greatest advantages is that now I have peripheral vision too and that's something you just don't have very well with glasses. now you will pick up movement in the brush to your side that you didn't see before.

Now for the downside. I had to give up my reading distance with the procedure. Not sure if this is a thing just associated with the astigmatism or not but they showed me exactly what it would look like at the optomitrists office. But I didn't care, my main goal was to rid myself of the glasses for most of the things I do, and besides, most of us older people have to have reading glasses anyways. However, you should be aware that if it also affects your reading distance, that it also means that you will have more trouble seeing the pin on your bow sight or the sight at the end of your barrel. And that will happen immediately and it is still a difficult thing to adjust to. But I still am able to shoot just fine...you adapt and as I said, you will likely have reading glasses at some point in your life anyways. I have never talked to anyone personally that wasn't very happy with their experience with Lasik, however, I have heard of people who have had some problems..like night halos making it difficult to drive at night. So there are a few pros and cons for you. I was glad I did it..happy enough that I have had it done twice!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Man I had Lasik about a year and a half ago, my vision was horrible, without my contacts or glasses i was legally blind. When i went into surgery I couldnt see any of the nurses faces, as soon as I sat up from the table I could see everybodies faces. It was a lil cloudy at first though, the first day it was uncomfortable, but they give medicine and eye drops to use.

It was the greatest thing i had ever done for myself, I mean the feeling you get when you can wake up and see the clock, something that has been a blur for me since I was 5, it is just a miracle. You will be pleased, my vision right now is better than 20/20 it is 20/15.. It did take a week or so for some of the fuzziness to fade out but now my eyes are clear and sharp...

You wont regret it at all........
Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

well this is certainly what i wanted to hear! i am also so sick of glasses and contacts! thankfully i found a place in chicago, il, Kraff Eye Institute that is supposed to be one of the best in the country for the surgery, who offers complimentary lasik to iraq and afghanistan vets! so i can afford an amazing corrective surgery i otherwise wouldnt probably be able to consider!! I have it done the end of december and it just so happens the only day they had open in december was my birthday, so its a nice gift! plus i can hit bass pro bolingbrook on the way home!!!

anyone else have any experiences/suggestions/things to think about??
Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know if you will be up for shopping on the way home, I wanted to go home and lay in bed, they will give you some drugs that make you sleepy, its best to sleep the first day, the next day is when you realize how awesome it is...
Old 08-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

yea, i am the "tough" guy right now, but when the day comes i am sure for once in my life a bed might sound better than bass pro! we'll see i am pretty pumped for it though!
Old 08-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I had it done abuot 7 years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done for myself (except take up hunting!). My vision was about 20/650 in one yee and 20/750 in the other, without glasses/contacts. I had a little bit of halo effect at night, especially in hazy weather, for about 4 weeks or so, but it wasn't very significant and it went away.I haven't had any problems with needing glasses for close-up stuff like reading, but I understand many people do. I think my long distance vision has decreased slightly in teh past year or so, so I may see a doctor and look into a "touch up".

My brother and one of my sisters also had it done, and they both love it.

Just make sure you don't get the radial karitonomy (sp?) version of the procedure. It has a much higher incidence of problems.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I had it done 6 yrs ago , in Chicago as well, and I can see great. The worst part of the procedure is when they cut your eye open. You can see the blade go across your eye, it's kind of unnerving and there will be a burnt skin smell when they are using the laser. Other than that it's a cakewalk. I just laid there and pretended I was dead, I didn't move a muscle! The whole procedure lasted about a minute. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone had lasik??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.