Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dilema...

Old 08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dilema...

ORIGINAL: mauser06

lol...see you guys think like 3/4s of my thinks...

the other 1/4 says "youve always been against it and said you wouldnt pay to hunt EVER..dont feed what you dont like"

but i kinda shut that 1/4 up by realizing what that group does is actually SMART and a great idea....

and before the group, most of it didnt get hunted hardly...theres definently good bucks...and id imagine those guys are trophy hunters...they might kick me out for killin a 2.5yo...but id get him mounted

i just remembered my mom works for DOCTORS...alot of them got land. pretty sure one got ALOT of land in that same area....i might beat the 65$ lol....so im going to see if she cant talk to them and get me sole permission on GREAT hunting land. see how that goes..

and talk to that group and see what we cant work out. your right...65$ aint nothin to pay for a decint chance at what id call a GOOD buck. the guy we were workin for today got a couple 140s+ walkin his farm. the surrounding land is all the same land...and only hunted by that group. come rut time, i want to be in a GOOD bottle neck
I think its` agreat opportunity ,the one down fall is membership in a group means that when one member isa dic you all are dic's check the membership and have a great season.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to go with what your conscience permits.By now they would have had my money and I would have been walking the property,printing aerial and topographical photo's etc,starting to hang stands etc.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you I would try it out for a year or 2 and see how things work out....you can always decide to quit their Club if your not happy but as the Club grows it may become harder and harder to get in?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

$65 and possibly having a farm to yourself.

Lots of deer

Shooting test to keep out the Riff Raff

Good number of big bucks

$65

$65

Yeah, I'd be jumping on that for $65

Old 08-25-2007, 12:10 AM

I would have already giving the money to them. Some people would die for a deal like this.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't look at it like your paying to hunt. Your paying club dues, most hunting cabins, clubs, camps do this and it's to take care of respondsibilities and at $65, it's a steal if you offered some major big buck areas. I don't pay dues to hunt the land I hunt however I do spend money that goes back to the landowner in food plots, mowing(gas) and processing meat that I give to the landowner. It's similiar capt'n. I've gone on 3 outfitter hunts, 1 for elk, 1 for bear and 1 for turkey (Wy, On, Ks)....

I can't see how being offered that opportunity to you is "paying to hunt"...your paying to access the land, hunting is the purpose...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Typical Buck

I can understand why you might be against it but it sounds like everything is still ethical...no high fence, a skills test...no big deal right?...no baiting (don't open the can of worms on me that comment)...basically sounds like you're hunting on private property (or shooting at a private range which most have yearly dues). $65 is nothing if you love huntinig that much and have a great op. to tag a nice deer. The way I see is this...in Southern Illinois I have to pay $15 for 2 pheasants (we don't have wild pheasants) but it's a released hunt. My dad and I do this a minimum of 5 times a year...we like to do it and don't have a place to hunt wild birds. It's still ethical, the birds have been 'free' released (not planted) prior to the hunt, you get to work your dogs, and get to enjoy yourself just as much as you would tropping around for wild quail (which aren't that plentiful anymore). In all honesty, I think you're a fool if you don't take up that offer. Deer hunting is the biggest game sport in the U.S. and private land is getting harder and harder to come by, wooded land and lease prices keep going up and up...pay the money and don't bat an eye. Even if you don't bag the big buck you think you might, you still might get a great experience from it...it's hunting...nothing is ever gauranteed. Just my $.02
Old 08-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....you made me see things differently with my OTHER 1/4 of my mind...

rybo..i know it gaurentees nothing. but what that area offers over my typical areas is deer numbers and buck numbers. to take a decint buck, you gotta be hunting where decint bucks are. in my areas now there are typically only a handfull of decint bucks scattered about...a 3.5 year old is a monster...

bowhunterjim...these people are not farmers. the farmers around here typically let anyone and everyone hunt for free. i hunt farmland. the deer numbers are hurt(pretty much doe season from sept 15th to the end of january) and bucks get hunted hard and heavy as well...just dont have the numbers. these people, for a lack of a better word, are yuppies. most are millionares. nothing against them..thats the just group they fall into...when average joe would knock on the door to ask permission to hunt they most always got shot down.

im going to talk to the group and see what i cant find out...seems like a great thing, from the hunting aspect...but for all i know, i got bad info and theres a hunter per half acre and they turned a good thing into a not so good thing and it wouldnt be worth it..we will find out...