Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would a decent hunter do?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:41 AM

Default What would a decent hunter do?

Wednesday I scouted some public land and found a tree at the intersection of three deer trails. The tree had two trunks I could use my climber to get up. On closer inspection one of the trunks had rusted spikes going up to an old climbing stick. I placed a marker at the base of the tree and left. Thursday I returned with my hunting partner so he could find a suitable tree, someone had removed my marker. Would I be wrong to hunt out of this tree?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would a decent hunter do?

That is a decision made by you, you can get all the advice you can handle, but at the end of the day it is all you. You know you can legally hunt there, but should you? That is a tough decision. There is not a stand there, just steps, right? So, you have scouted, and were there first for this season. But who knows, the guy hunting there could have been sitting in that same spot for years. Man, thats a tough call. I don't know what to tell you. Sorry I am not much help.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 AM

yeahdont, Be the better person because it seems he was there first. Did ur buddy find a tree?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is state land I'd be willing to bet that those screw in steps are not suppose to be there. In many states they are illegal. If they are I wouldn't worry too much about it and hunt there if i wanted to.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Screw in steps are Illegal on Maryland Public land. I wouldn't want to be in that tree if a GW shows up.

Even if you are in a climber, I'll bet you they cite you for the spikes.

You could be a good citizen and report the law breaker who put them there.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM

Here in Maryland I believe the spikes aren't legal on public land. If someone used a tree that I had used previously it wouldn't bother me, I didn't plant that tree and the land is for everyone. I get the vibe (the guy removed my marker!) this guy believes he owns that spot!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm actually surprised more hunters aren't killed over spats like this, each year. I never imagined it got like this (and I'm not saying this instance is bad....but it could get that way sometimes, I'm sure).

You also have to worry about how clean other hunters are that are hunting near you......when you're not there....etc...

Sorry you have to deal with this. I hope your spot is fruitful, though.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

You don't want to hunt at the intersection of these trails or on any trail for that matter. Place your stand 10-15 yds downwind of the trail. NEVER hunt directly on a trail.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I guess you could always put yourself in the other guys shoes.

I know that public land is owned by no one person,but I would like to think we are better then that when it come to hunting. Respect is something that can be so easily given but few do. This guy may have hunted in the spot for some time. Hunting spots are really a sacred place where I am from. Even if you hunt public land it is just understood the you don't infringe on another hunter. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although it would be legal for you to hunt this spot you take the chance of being in the tree and the other guy shows up and messes up your hunt or worse becomes confrontational over you hunting "his" tree and I don't think that you want that. I would just pick a different spot to hunt.

Quick Reply: What would a decent hunter do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.