Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What challenges do you face in your area?

Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What challenges do you face in your area?

Overpopulation.

Also a whole lot of impenetrable cover = too much of a good thing. On our land there are so many
places to hide and areas to avoid hunters. It's like hunting big woods, once a deer figures out a
human has been around there are a ton of places he can go. We also are bordered by an area
no one hunts. This is more positive than negative, but the one negative is that the mature deer go
there and often by the time they make their way onto our property it is too dark.

Everyone complains about pressure (and trust me I would prefer low to no pressure to high pressure),
but it can be used to your advantage.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Dragging my ass out of bed and making that mile and a half walk to my area sometimes with a climber on my back. I've been hunting this area for many years. I can tell you this it gets a little harder every year. I'm 36 now and I'll hunt it as long as I can make it. My area has it all food, water and bedding all in a little area. Its public land so the big ones are few and far betweeen but when you get one you can say you done something.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Making a really good shot. I hunt in my subdivision, we have 3 acre lots so I want my deer to go down fast. Would not be a good thing to be tracking across a bunch of lawns and driveways. So far I have had good luck in this regard. I wait for the perfect broadside shot and limit my shot distance to 25 yards. Plus I use a 2" cut mechanical bhead. Bleed them out quick!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Is that a wooded three acres or a three acre lawn? I used to hunt on my parents six acres when I'ld go home for Christmas. They wouldn't let me hunt on Christmas Eve night or Christmas morning. They were afraid that the deer would run into the neighbors yard and their kids would have to watch me drag one of Santa's deer across their lawn.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

Is that a wooded three acres or a three acre lawn?
The ones I hunt on have a good amount of woods. We have a couple of creeks running thru with woods around them.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:52 PM

i would have to say patientce cause alot of small bucks i mean alot go by just to see that one big boy