Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you walk?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How far do you walk?

I try and keep it 1/4 mile minimum. Most are way back in there anyway.
Does anyone else besides me park in a cemetary?a little creepy, but im a MAN [X(]
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

How in the world do you drag a deer 2 miles... I grug one once about 1/2 mile and litterally drug the fur off his !@#
If I'm going to hunt public land where I know I won't be able to get back to my kill with a vehicle, I will pack a small green tarp with me. I use it as amakeshift groundblind, shelter if needed, ground cover,etc...(many uses)and if lucky enough to get a kill, I put my deer (or whatever) in it, wrap it up and it makes dragging out a deer much easier with no damage to the hide.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigj12, thats a good idea for draging, i may give that a try someday if i cant get to it with a quad.
ORIGINAL: BigJ12

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

How in the world do you drag a deer 2 miles... I grug one once about 1/2 mile and litterally drug the fur off his !@#
If I'm going to hunt public land where I know I won't be able to get back to my kill with a vehicle, I will pack a small green tarp with me. I use it as amakeshift groundblind, shelter if needed, ground cover,etc...(many uses)and if lucky enough to get a kill, I put my deer (or whatever) in it, wrap it up and it makes dragging out a deer much easier with no damage to the hide.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a 65 mile drive and a 3/8 mile walk.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Bigj12, thats a good idea for draging, i may give that a try someday if i cant get to it with a quad.
It actually works quite good. A deer wrapped up in it will slide along with a lot less effort than just fur on the ground. Plus likeI mentioned it has many other uses. Once I used it to wait out a pretty nasty rain storm (kept me dry) once the storm broke I shot a deer and that thing slid so easy I couldn't believe it. I used a nice pine limb to fabricate a yoke and off I went.

Yep a tarp and some good rope can be used for lots of things in the field. I buy the 8x8 tarp so it doesn't take up too much room in my pack.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Man, what a great question for those of us that don't hunt in deer factories. Got nothing scientific, but I always give it 200 yards. I can hear an ATV at 100 yards. At 200 yards, it gets fuzzy.That's what I work on.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

I don't do it much anymore because I have private land I can hunt now.but I used to walk up to 2 miles or more when hunting tensas refuge here in louisiana,but I did have a deer cart I took with me or went back to the truck to get if I did get lucky.I tell you one thing though I didn't shoot any does that far back even with the cart it's a job.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just depends where I am hunting. In my subdivision I might park 50 yards from my stand. But on the farm I hunt it ranges from 100 yards or so to 1/2 mile at the most.

The stand in my backyard is 40 FEET from my basement door. No parking involved.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends, I've killed deer in a stand 50 yds from my truck, other times I'm much farther. Typically not more than 600 yds, usually 200-300. If I'd walk a mile off of any road I'd cut about 4 properties
Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

really varies for me. private land around here is usually small paracels of land...most of it being farmland so once you get across the fields or pasture your pretty near your spot. my walks there average about 1/4mile id say...short 5-10 minute hike...

public land it varies from 1/4 mile to 2+. my one spot is a 25 minute power walk. any faster and id be jogging. that spots already a 20 minute drive...so needless to say, im usually powerwalking/jogging that hike in public land around here is usually heavily heavily hunter so walking far is the way to go....

Quick Reply: How far do you walk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.