Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need TRUCK recommendation for bowhunting

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need TRUCK recommendation for bowhunting

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Whatever you buy just make it an American truck.

Let's keep our money at home and support each other.
Yes, let's all support mediocrity.

I agree with others that the 20 mpg goal is going to be tough. I have a V8 Tundra that averages about 18 mpg. I have gotten 21 mpg on a couple of tanks, but that is not the norm. I also get about 13 mpg when hauling my trailer. Toyota makes the most reliable trucks on the market, that is irrefutable, but in the end it comes down to personnel preference. I went to the dark side (Japanese) after bad experiences with every Big 3 vehicle I've owned. I now have two Honda's and one Toyota and will not go back unless the Big 3 can get their acts together.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big fan of the Titans, but the Tundra's..........not so much. I would also really check out the Dodge Dakota's. Great Power, Gas Milage, and Reliability is what I've seen out of them and I know at least 5 people that drive them. Overall great trucks IMO.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:47 AM

ORIGINAL: fillae

I agree with others that the 20 mpg goal is going to be tough. I have a V8 Tundra that averages about 18 mpg. I have gotten 21 mpg on a couple of tanks, but that is not the norm. I also get about 13 mpg when hauling my trailer. Toyota makes the most reliable trucks on the market, that is irrefutable, but in the end it comes down to personnel preference. I went to the dark side (Japanese) after bad experiences with every Big 3 vehicle I've owned. I now have two Honda's and one Toyota and will not go back unless the Big 3 can get their acts together.
HMMMMM! Consumer reports just out this week, and consumer confidence has never been higher with American built. Toyota was actually dropping fast, with more complaints than ever. Just the facts.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota trucks. But I don't think I could bring myself to own one. I know that they build them in the USA but I guarantee you the profits go back to Japan or China. I don't like to support other countries!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 AM

I drive a chevy, but sounds like the toyota tacoma would fit your bill...I also really like the new tundras, but you're not going to find a used one yet (and you won't get a new one in 4x4, supercab - you need room for 4, for under 30k).

I'm not a fan of going less than full size myself, but since you specified midsize, I'd recommend the Toyota Tacoma (built in Indiana by the way, but yest, the parent company is Japanese).

And by the way, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and Motor Trend - I read the opinions on foreign vs. domestic as well, but also noticed the rankings - Accord and Camry are the best cars, Tundra was the best truck, Highlander and CR-V best small SUVs, etc......
Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you own a Chevy you would get + 20 mpg
Old 08-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Germ

If you own a Chevy you would get + 20 mpg
The estimated mpg of a 2007 Silverado is 15-19. Even if what you said were true, the total cost of ownership of the Tundra is less.

I love the Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota trucks. But I don't think I could bring myself to own one. I know that they build them in the USA but I guarantee you the profits go back to Japan or China. I don't like to support other countries!
It's a global economy folks. Our market is strong because of foreign investors. It's far more important to me that jobs are provided for US citizens (the Silverado is assembled in Oshawa, Ontario, and Silao, Mexico (there is also a US plant) while the Tundra is built in Indiana). It's less important to me which white collar people are getting the profits.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM

I'll second (or third) the Nissan vote, I've got a Frontier and its sweet. 4WD, I get a little over 20 MPG, it was under 30K and its rated to pull around5K#'s, if I remember the specs correctly... And they have a factory in Kentucky, so its like dual citizenship, right?

Ken
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have been looking at new trucks my self. From what i have seen Ford has more pulling power, can pull more weight. Plus the new turbo diesle in the f250 makes it a great truck. You can get a brand new f250 for around 30 to 35 depending on what options you wont. You should be able to find one use cheaper and they get 18 a gallon. If you are stuck on a v6 go with the f150. new they start at 19 and about 26000 fully loaded and i think with a v8 they get 22 mpg
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I would somewhat agree with you but I really disagree with you also. Yes you do support American when you buy American, but who are you really supporting? The presidents of those companies. Most of the parts of Ford are assembled outside of the U.S. One Ford F-150 that I looked at had its motor assembled in Mexico and transmission assembled in Canada. So when you buy that vehicle, your keeping those people employed in other countries. On the other hand, the Nissans that are assembled here in the U.S., are keeping the Americans employed. So who are you really helping out the most!

Quick Reply: need TRUCK recommendation for bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.