Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Outfitters? Worth It?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Outfitters? Worth It?

Ok...I have been really thinking about booking a hunt with an Outfitter within the next 2-3 years...I'd like to go to the Mid-West.....

I am not looking for name dropping or anything like that, but, for those of you that have done this before, was your experience worth it? I understand Fair Chase, and that nothing is guaranteed....however I would have some high expectations as far as....good food, comfortable loging and the BEST hunting grounds.....again, not looking for a specific outfittter, just a basic idea of whatI could expect to see if I was to do this....is the investment.." worth it " ....I have no problem spending the money and not shooting a monster.....as long as the area was incredible and the hospitality was great....I know all outfitters are different...just looking to get a basic feel of what it's like to hunt with one.....are the guides usually..."helpful" and do they actually...." guide"....
If you want to PM me specifics, that would be great....not looking to stir the pot in public though....

This is something that I would like to do with my Dad before he gets too " old " and can't anymore...so that experience alone is worth it, just trying to make the right desision.....
Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Outfitters? Worth It?

Stay away from Steel Creek Outfitters in IOWA, nothing but garbage, only thing going for him is the land he has which are gorgeous and they do hold great bucks, but the lodging, food, guides, stand placement all sucked, and he and his guide hunted while we hunted.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I've gone on an outfitted hunt in Texas. As long as you do your research you can fit any budget and condition you desire and find someone good.

I'll pm you a great guy to start your search..he does hunts all over the world.

I was the point man for a group of 4 we had to fit budgets, weather..etc etc and then vote on where to go. I'd have preferred Canada but sometimes you have to go with the popular vote.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:57 AM

Here's my two cents on the subject. I hunted last year with IMB outfitters in Macon, MO. The food and the lodging were great. The outfitter and the guides actually wanted you to kill something. They are some great people, I highly reccomend this outfitter for a Top of the Line Mid-West Outfitter. However!!!! If you go on a hunt, dont pull a SteveO and go semi-guided. I didnt think we would have a problem. The guides and outfitter helped us out as much as they could, telling us where we should hunt, but they didnt actually choose our stands. Thats the price of a Semi-Guided hunt. I came back empty handed because I chose to go the Semi-Guided and I know this because the outfitter threw in 1 day of Fully Guided hunt to show us the difference. And let me tell you friend there is a big difference. I suggest you go IMB Outfitters, Fully Guided Archery, Mid to Late Oct. Excellent leases, Excellent accomidationsand Excellent people.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM

I have hunted with people I know in montana for 5 years and had a blast every time. I went on a paid hunt in Ill last year and it was awful. I was told we would see 3-4 bucks a day and we could only shoot 120 and above. There were 4 of us and we saw 5-7 bucks total in 6 days. None of them were even close to 100. I called the refrecences and spoke with 2 people that had been there before so I thought I did as much as I could. We even hunted in the famed Pike and Adams counties.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

check out Montana Whitetails Inc. I heard nothing but great stuff about them had some friends go there and said its incredible. They have a website.(www.montanawhitetails.com)
Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it worth it...yes, but only if you're not going into debt to go or stealing food out of you kid's mouths. If you can save up and get with the right outfitter, then it is one of the best times you'll have hunting. I've gone with the same outfitter for four years now and have formed some really strong bonds. It's pricey, but I justify it with hard work, luck inbusinessand just prioritizing my extra spending money for the year. Talk to people who have gone with them and talk to them on the phone personally.

I will continue to hunt with my guys until I can't afford to do so. They are like family...they cost a bunch but you still love them. Not to mention, the opportunity to expand your season for those of us who have a one buck limit. They've helped me take some really nice deer. Best of luck.

Kelly
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have been very fortunate and have gone on five guided hunts. All of them but one was worth the money. However, the one bad one was really bad, quality and quantity of game, food, and lodging. There wasn't one good thing about the hunt. I recommend that you do as much research as possible and check a lot of references. Even with due diligence, you have to understand that guided hunts are a little like hunting itself. No matter how hard you try, there are no guarantees. However, I do believe there are a lot more good outfitters than bad ones.