Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Winner's Choice; Quality Bowstrings?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winner's Choice; Quality Bowstrings?

Are you going to put your new strings on with the same cams, have you thought about changing them to see if that truly is the problem?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had any issues with serving seperation on my '07 Allegiance after a ton of shooting. I was told by the shop that if i would switch at all go with WC. However, he told me that the factory Bowtech strings are considered pretty good and the only reason to switch would be for a color variation.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I haven't had any issues with serving seperation on my '07 Allegiance after a ton of shooting. I was told by the shop that if i would switch at all go with WC. However, he told me that the factory Bowtech strings are considered pretty good and the only reason to switch would be for a color variation.
I was told the same thing....after I almost took the factory strings/cables off when I bought my bow to have WC put on it.

Let me ask you this.......if your fan belt on your truck kept having issues.....would you question the faulty belts from two reputeable mfr's.....or would you check your fly wheel (and if there are any mechanics in the house....I'm not sure that's correct...but I think you get the jist)? I'm not accusing you of anything Wash. you seem to know your bow stuff.....but you also seem to tinker with it a LOT.

Does your bow shop sell Bowtech? I'm trying to figure out why you'd switch to a string they sell (when nothing was wrong with the one you had).....but might not even be shooting a BOW they carry. (???)

Too mnay questions for me to even make a guess what's going on....but I'd say it isn't common among '07 Ally owners.

Good luck with your dilemma.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Swamp, trust me, I replace at least two strings day that look like lines of fuzz. I know all about proper string maintainance.
Well I'll trust another thing too... and thats called common sense...

If I had purchased a bow from a shop and was on my third set of strings already... and the tech told me to get another set.... I'd probably start to think it might not be just the strings that needed replacing....

You aren't talking to some common idiot here, I'm no Randy Ulmer or Pete Shepley or Bob Foulkrod, but I make my living the same way you do, and I've been doing it longer than you have been wearing big boy pants.

The way you solve a lot of problems in archery is to start at the beginning and go through step by step.... everybody makes mistakes... and everybody misses something now and again. I rarely go to work without learning something new each day, even if its small... but as soon as you start thinking everyone else is ignorant in your holy presence, or that you might not be the problem, you are going to end up with one blowing up in your face.

I have a younger kid who works for me that thinks he knows everything. And for his age, he really isn't bad. He has lots of bias' againest companies, but I'm sure nobody on this forum knows what thats like....

In the last three months this kid has ruined one customers Hoyt by pressing it incorrectly (bent the riser in half), cut two bowstrings so that they broke 5 shots after serving/peep install(one with blade and one with flame), cracked a limb on a brand new Martin, and the funniest one was him trying to tell Rodger Willet (who just tied the national record in Men's Archery in Manassas, VA in July, and won a gold for three man team at the FITA World's in Germany) that he didn't know what he was talking about in reference to back tension shooting. We are still ribbing him for that one...I'm working on bringing him back down to earth... he's a good kid with a good heart... but he is 19.. and 19 y.o. kids know everything, just ask one.

I'm not saying your string isn't defective, or that you did anything wrong, or that your bow is messed up. What I am saying is that nobody, including you, knows exactly what is wrong. Without seeing it, I can only help lead you down a path that I've found answers along. Something tells me that Winners Choice knows a thing or three about strings and why they do what they do. You might want to listen up when they talk.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 sets of different strings replaced due to defects on the same bow in less than 7 months points to the bow or the Indian replacing the strings.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

.. but he is 19.. and 19 y.o. kids know everything, just ask one.
I'm 19 in about 3 months, how could I possibly know anymore then i do now?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

X-cote is very slick and very thin but it is not great in the abrasion resistance department when it comes to sharp corners like what is on cam posts. In other words it cuts easily.

If you have removed the loops from the posts several times this will definetly cause x-cote to fray like yours are doing.The last time I read the instructions WC had this information printed about the X-cote.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
bigcountry

I would demand a new string. Here is my winners choice. I have well over 500 shots thru it.