Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys who've taken turkeys with your bows

Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guys who've taken turkeys with your bows

Every turkey I have ever taken has been in the spring. 30 with a gun, and one with a bow. I'm one for one.... carried it once, and killed one bird. I, unlike GMMAT do not appreciate the struggle or the challenge of taking a gobbler with a bow. I guess I just got lucky, and found a bird that wanted to play the game and was sporting about it.

I use Rocket Hammerheads for turkeys... and if I hit one in the head, I'm sure it would do the job. A co-worker of mine killed one last spring with the Hammerhead, and from the pictures I saw... the effect was the same as the gilluotine.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both of mine were in spring. Two years ago I shot mine with the jack hammer and this spring I shot mine with the guillotine at 10 yards. Both died within eye sight, BUT the one I shot this spring didn't "run" any where!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkey hunting. I dont buy a turk tag in the fall, im to into the deer hunting then. Im already getting ready for the spring turkeys. I purchased a nice camo folding camp stool with a back and zip up pouch under the seat at rural king for$12.00Im looking into a bow holder that sticks into the ground, ill proably make that.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

These got too close to me while I was on the lookout for deer All taken with Rocket Aeroheads, dead center mass... except the one on the far right which I aimed at the base of its neck and left it attached by a thread of skin!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

2 of em in the fall, yet to connect in da spring but still after em, maybe next year.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only 1 with a bow. It was a Sept. Deer hunt in KY. 10 yards with a Muzzy. He walked behing a small evergreen tree which allowed me to draw. When he walked out I stuck him to the ground. 25lbs. 10/1/2 inch beard. 1/1/2 spurs.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 PM
OGW

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I saw where we had a good number of guys who've taken turkeys with their bows.

Question:

How many of you were turkey hunting.....and how many were deer hunting whenyou shot yours?
I've only gotten 1 so far, with a Bow, in 2003 and the broadhead I used was a Kolpin Twister!
I was not turkey hunting at the time and actually had just dropped off a friend who was trying to fill his Bow tag on a deer. He did not have transportation at the time and I had filled my deer tagthe day before.
I was on my way back home and spotted it in a field huddled near some tall grass duringa high wind. I drove past, parked the truck, and put a stalk on him. I got half the way to him in the fieldwhen he ducked into the grass so I moved up quickly. To my suprise he ran back towards me just inside the grass and I took my shot. He took flight but crashed landed only about 20 feet from my truck and I caught up to him just inside the woodline, Icornered him near an old stone fence, and took matters into my own hands to finish the deal.
If there was ever a hunt I wish I had on video that would be the one...
It was my first turkey, my first with a bow(so far anyways), and it ended up being the Thanksgiving Day meal that year. What made it even better was my Parents had come up here to NY that year to our new house and I got to share it with them...I dontthink it could have worked out any better!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey & Deer Bow run concurrently in NY.

I've shot several with bowbut always while deer hunting.

The turkeys are sometimes a pain in the butt when deer hunting.They've messed up plenty a hunt for me. Especially at 1st & last light if you happen to be near a roost.

Most times I don't even try toshoot - I just hope they pass by without catching me on stand an putting and carrying on.

FH
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive taked a couple while spring turkey hunting with my bow
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only gotten one, and I was spring bird hunting when I got him.

Quick Reply: Guys who've taken turkeys with your bows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.