Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fawn in Distress

Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fawn in Distress

everbody says use a fawn in distress call they work great for does... the only thing fawn in distress i can find is a predator call... Is the Little Can good enough?Because im gonna truely be super excited with a doe this year.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fawn in Distress

Is the Little Can good enough?
ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

everbody says use a fawn in distress call they work great for does... the only thing fawn in distress i can find is a predator call... Is the Little Can good enough?Because im gonna truely be super excited with a doe this year.
Thats what i use, but, i'd hate to say it. Its LOCATION! You need to be where the does are, I hunt food sources mostly, in the early season.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Primos early season can call works good. I use all the time. I actually called up bucks before too...on opening day as a matter of fact.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I can't hunt food sources until they start getting on the acorns.

So I hunt their travel routes from their feeding ground to and from their bedding areas.

I'll kill my share (and then some) this year (does).
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to most any Site on the internet and order you a fawn in distress call?I think I have a call from Primo's and it is a small call that you blowinto and itis easy to carry and I know several guys that have called in Doe's with their calls.Me...I have never called in a Doe with mine?I have used it different times and when I was trying to get a Coyote to come in closer but he didn't seem interested either?

My Brother In-law said it is best to use the Fawn distress call early in the season because most fawns will still be traveling with the Doe and the Doe will respond better to the call.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 PM

my gosh...yes they work! I saw a coyote approx 40 yards or so away...blew on the fawn distress bleat...he ran off....3 mama does that I had no idea were there came running in. That was an experience of a lifetime.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Say how are those of you that use this call using them ?? I tried the way they did it on a primos video where they were walling on this thing and I have yet to see anything !!! are you guys usuing them like a grunt tube or bleat call? and Not the agressive ay they did it on the video
Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Brother In-law squaled and sqeeled like a nut for several minutes.....then waited a little while and did it again and he kept it up for about 30 minutes when the Doe came in and he shot her.I was getting tired of hearing him.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone have a link to a sound file for a fawn in distress? I'm sure the True Talker can duplicate it, but I'd like to be sure of what it should sound like before I try it. I have a spot in CT thats great for does, but I'm still not sure its a good idea to use any calls there, the cover is sparse. I might try it if I set up my ground blind though.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

They do work very good. They key is to put a lot of emotion in your calling. If you've ever heard a fawn screaming you wouldn't forget it. It sounds just like a small child srceaming bloody murder. I was roofing my brother's house and heard what I thought was one of my kids at the pond screaming so I rushed over there and found that my dogs had a fawn out in the middle of the pond. I'll never forget the way it screamed(I swam out there and rescued the fawn and took it to where I last saw the mother and she took it back). Anyway, make your calls loud and change tones.