Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Primary Bedding area?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Primary Bedding area?

I asked about this spot some last year and have my game cams up and am getting lots of pics. In the contest forum A team mate made a post and now I am thinking about it again and am curious as to what you guys think. I always knew and know that deer move around alot, sleep in alot of spots over there home range. I would see this as spot of grass matted down good in a circle shape, seen them alot. This spot that I started to hunt last year toward the end of the year in the snow I found yet another path. It lead to a major, what I would call a "primary" bedding area. BY this I mean maybe a dozen or so beds about four feet around worn down to the bare dirt. Lots of tracks going in and out and lots of deer poo on the trails too! It is a swamp area and there is not trees good enough to get a stand in, and if there was I do not know how I could do it with out making to much noise going in and out. My question for you all is, how close can I get to there beds and not mess it up and they move out for a while. I think I will set up a ground blind, but how close is to close? Also has anyone else seen a primary bedding area like this? and how did you hunt it? As Imentioned above I have alot of pics of does and fawns. I think I have six main resident does and about eight fawns total, very few buck pics, only a couple all spring and summer.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Primary Bedding area?

I have a built in "Jeff can't screw it up" mechanism. Where their primary bedding area is......I can't hunt.

So.....I'm only allowed to get "so" close. It's probably the greatest thing that could happen. If I coud go in there......there are times I would.

OK.....here goes.....start at a good distance to where you think it is (say.....3-400 yds).....and gradually work in there. Don't rush it. Theres no need to. Only get real aggressive as your season draws to a close. You can certainly screw i tup faster than you can realize success from this tactic. I can legally get to 150 yds of their primary" bedding area. I can hunt there any day I want to. In 2 years.....I've been there ONE time.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM

best way to hunt i would imagine is to find where they are coming from going to the bedding area. then set up on a game trail about 100 yards from the beds. It would be best to be fight inbetween beds and food.

Think of us we go from our bed to the fridge.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Thanks Jeff. The closest tree that is marginal for setting up in is about two hundred yards away, maybe that will be good enough and I should start there. There is some trails that go by it not sure yet if they are hot ones or not. Is the area you speak of have beds worn down like that? I have never seen them and am still shocked by it when I do see it, but I have not been in there since mid march, have not wanted to screw it up. Was curious if I have a rare spot of lots of woods have spots like these, guys at work have never seen a spot like it either, they like me always thought a deer had different beds every time and a mashed down spot of grass was the only beds a deer ever used.