Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you ever content with your shooting???

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are you ever content with your shooting???

I have finally come to the relization that my days of being a good spot shooter are over. I can hit the heart and lung area of a 4X4 block target every time out to 40 yards but put a dot on the target and my groups go crazy. So I guess that instead of getting frustrated over the dot thing I'm going to be content that I shoot the way that I shoot.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 AM

Default RE: Are you ever content with your shooting???

No.

I'm my biggest critic, so I never settle. I strive to do better every time I shoot.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 AM

if i can hit the vitals on my 4x4 every time at 20 yrds ill be happy but get mad when i group 5 and the 6th is way off.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Content? Nope. But I can tell you I'm happier with my shooting right now as I head to Colorado than I've ever been... I'm taking more confidence than ever about my shooting into the year, and I feel like when I return for the Midwest whitetail season 99% of my shots are going to seem like slam dunks after preparing for this trip out West.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHunterJim

if i can hit the vitals on my 4x4 every time at 20 yrds ill be happy but get mad when i group 5 and the 6th is way off.
Same here. It seems like when you hit a couple good groups and you go to shoot one more before your done, it ends up being off the mark. That bugs the crap out of me.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

never, you can always shoot better,

I am happy with my groups, release, and form but if you don't push your self than how are you going to get any better. I would say most people would be happy shooting the way I do but not for me. getting 5 arrows in the vitals of a deer at 20, 30, 40, or even 50yds is not that hard, I start out with a 3" circle once I can keep my BHs in that (20 out of 20) than I move back, and back, and back until I cannt any more and that is where i shoot from.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I think unless you are hitting the center of a bullseye (robin hooding your arrows) there is no way you can be content. And even then, I would be ticked cuz you loose your arrows.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I think I am, sometimes......then I have a reality check (oh...I don't know....like a 3D tournament I think I should have done better in????....lol)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

In terms of target archery, not there yet. For 3D I really would like just for one season to be competitive onthenational level in an amatuer open, or semi proclass. I may only have one year in my life where financially and family wise I am able to do what I need to get there,but that is what I am working for......just one year to be able to successfully compete at that level. Once I get there, I will evaluate if it is right for me to continue pursuing itbeyond the local level.

Indoors I think I will be content when I reachthe level to have potential of shooting a 60x 5 spot game, or 300/450 vegas game on any given night. I shoot regularly in my local indoor leagues with a lot of guys that will shoot, 3, 4, 5, up to maybe 6 or so perfect games out of an 8 week league. This is where I would like to be. Don't really care much about competing at the national level here, but would like to reach this level for myself and to be able to keep up with the local guys. My last 3D event of the year is next weekend (big regional event) and then I will go into indoors mode and will be specifically training for the upcoming winter season. This is the year for my first Vegas 300 I really think, who knows.......I may just shoot 60x's too. That would be a truly awesome accomplishment and something I have been working towards for a long time. You get there one arrow at a time though, and focus on the end result will surely make the road longer. I think people often lose focus on the fact that you need to pay attention to the setup, execution, etc........not so much on the score. Once the arrow is gone, whether it is an x ring or a total miss the only thing you can focus and have control over is the next arrow.

For hunting, I am very satisfied with my abilities. I am proficient with a hunting rig out to what I consider my effective distance. I don't push myself too hard here, I just make sure my equipment is tuned well, sighted in well, and make sure to shoot it 1-2 times a week for about a month before and during season to keep in the swing of things.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woops, dbl post....

Quick Reply: Are you ever content with your shooting???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.