Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you ever content with your shooting???

Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you ever content with your shooting???

And one more thing. Assuming I can accomplish what I want indoors and for 3D........I will likely get a recurve and start over with a new set of goals with more focus on hunting rather than target archery.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

I think unless you are hitting the center of a bullseye (robin hooding your arrows) there is no way you can be content. And even then, I would be ticked cuz you loose your arrows.
there is no pleasing u is there?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have no problem veering away from the croud on this one. Yes, I am content with my shooting where it's at now. No, I can't shoot a "robinhood" on demand. No, I can'tconsistently shoot 2" groups at 40 yards. Yes, there is much room for improvement.
The way I see it, as a bowhunter, I'm a "work in progress". I know I'll get better, but for no longer than I've been shooting a bow, I'm shooting great IMO. After a 7 or 8 rounds, my groups get sloppy, but when I first go out, I can put my BH in the 2" bullseye at 40 yards on the first shot almost every time.
To my way of thinking, if my first shot is accurate on the stand, that's all that matters. My skill, strength and endurance will increase in time, but I'm satisfied, or "content" with where I am now.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Nah... Bugs the heck out of me when i group 3 and the 4th is off, like some have already said in here.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Over all, I shoot well. I do have times when I think I shouldshoot better though!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been content either. Earlier this summer, I was on fire. I won the state qualifier tournament I shotin by about 30 points, shot awesome in the next club shoot, then took a total dump in the state tournament. Since then, I've been a little off, still pretty decent, but not like my hot streak. I'm sick of shooting at targets right now, so I haven't been shooting real great.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

My next door neighbor is a great shot! I watch him shoot out to 80 yards. He haswonmanyshoots.Idon't shoot much. I shoot my bow in September with my broadheads to make sure they (all 6 in my quiver) fly right. I then put a field point and practice 1 shot per week from my tree stand in my back yard. I shoot at my full rut buck. I just try to put it in the kill zone everytime. I don't try to hit a dime each time. My neighbor can shoot circles around me, and gives me crap about not practicing. I then remind him that you can try to be too perfect when hunting. He has 2 bow kills on the wall. I have 20. He tries to be tooprecisewhenhunting witha bow. Now shooting a target,he would kick my butt! He has hunted with a bow 15 years longer than me.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

im a hunter. i am never satisfied/content/happy with my shooting. i push myself. the other day 40yds seemed like a cake walk. i had 2 more pins ive never used. went to my buddies field and setup a 50yd target. was shooting 4-5" groups at 50yds...AFTER shooting 50+ arrows prior and on the edge of being tired, in the stiff wind, and with the sun blinding me. i know i can do better. next is 60yds. never thought id EVER fling an arrow that far...but i push myself. i want to be the best that i can with the gear that i have. when the gear starts to limit me, its time for better gear. always something to be done to make yourself better. i shot a good 50 arrows a day average. i do what i can to make sure im ontop of my game...and im still not the best..

the other day shooting those 50yd groups my 2 buddies were amazed. i made their 20 and 30yd groups look bad. but they both know it, and one said it...he said "if we practiced as much as he did and as far as he does we COULD be that good..." i said "i dont know why you dont do it...it aint hard...dont take much more time out of the day...and i find it fun..and being a hunter i WANT to be the best that i can"

right now its pouring. im still trying to scheme up a way for me to shoot. im almost considering bringing my target into my basement but its a finished basment. if i had a target that i KNEW would stop my arrow before it came out the back id be shooting already...i might just suck it up and get wet...did it yesterday.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

I sure wasn't today at lunch[:@].

I think I am content but never satisfied. I can always find something to improve upon.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:03 PM
OGW

Content with My Shooting???

I'm either Content with my Shooting or I do not climb into a stand andBowHunt. Though I did miss one season during the beggining of a change in my businesscareer in 96 I have not missed a season for lack of being ready. I'll practice until I reach, and after,the point where I have confidence in any shot I choose to take. Idemand that from myselfbecause I like the feeling of Contentment when field dressing a deer. In my ownopinion thats one way I honor the privelege of hunting.

Perfect Shooting....Well I think someone mentioned already about perfect shooting being Robinhoods all the time...that would be perfect(if you had a sponsor)!

Quick Reply: Are you ever content with your shooting???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.