Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hang ons

Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
OGW

Default RE: Hang ons

ORIGINAL: BowHunterJim

ok got the attacking part but how do u get the stand 20ft in the air?
Simply tie the same kind of rope you'll use to pull your Bow up with to your belt or harness. When you get up to the height you want pull the stand up. I use that Screw-In Hook I mentioned earlier when doing this and it helps to wrap the rope around it once to take all the weight of the stand off your hands. You could use a close branch as well I imagine if theres one just throw the rope over it before you try pulling the stand up.
Another tip I'll share with you that I use is a small Backpack(worn backwards)for all the steps and straps I'll need so I dont have to make a bunch of trips up and down the tree.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM

now a ladder stand i assume u walk up under it untill it hits the tree?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
OGW

Yeah...I just put the bottom of the ladder whereI think it will be in the ground when the stands up on the tree. Like a pivot point and walk up under the ladder until the stand goes over towards the tree. Then adjust it so the back of the top part of it sits correctly against the tree. Then I personally like to step/jump on the bottom step of the ladder to get it to go into the ground to add stability. Then I attach the stabilizer bar to the tree trunk as high as I can reach before I climb to the top and attach that to the tree with a ratchet strap.
I consider a treestand installed properly if theres very little or no movement at all(prefferably) when I shift my wieght while up in it.