Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corn & Trail Cams

Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Corn & Trail Cams

I've got pics of geez like 12+ bucks this yearwith none beingjaw droppersand no fawns or does. Is this typical for a corn pile? I've never used corn before and i'm only using it for picture taking purposes. I have a Moultrie trail cam and it works good, if I can stop the deer but it doesn't trigger fast enough to just be usedon a trail ..they pass by, before it triggers.

I'm just amazed at the fact that the only pics I have are of Young Bucks.
I picked up my camera Saturday I had 66 pics on 33 triggers (set to take 2 pics 1 minute apart each trigger). This was after 4 days and the 40lbs of corn was all but gone!

I'll be posting some pics in my team thread..but photobucket seems down this morning.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn & Trail Cams

GR8, I have sometimes had to leave corn and a camera down for more than a week or2 before I saw any decent bucks if ANY. I can move my camera location(the ones Ive been posting pics of on our team thread) 200 yards, and not get many pics at all even after a week or 2 where right now I can get as many as 900 pics in 4 days.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Put out minerals for best chance at buck pics.

I had bucks on my minerals the day after I put them out, last year. I have a feeder about 70 yds away from the mineral site......and if I put out loose corn.....they could easily eat 50lbs a night. Right now....I'm on about 100lbs a week.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats what I usually do Jeff..I Put out minerals this year..had 0 hits. That's when I decided to try corn in same spot.

Edit..By the way I'm not doubting the effectiveness of the minerals at all..It was more thye torential downpour the next day that I'm sure was the root cause of 0 activity.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 AM

I have had a trail cam on the same bait sight for the last two years. I have
always found it interesting how deer pattern. Deer may not come to the bait for three four days then I'll get60 pics in two days. When I get a nice deer come in it is usually at night.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL, GR8....

Here's how two minds think....

You think they didn't hit your minerals because it got too wet.....and I think they're not hitting mine (like they did last year.....bucks)....because it's too dry.

We will never be satisified.....OR figure them out.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Add this to the equation:

I had 4 licks out on my property, and only 3 were touched. The one that wasnt touched was right along a trail that conected all the other trails (kinda like a deer highway). 2 licks were all bucks, 1 had some does but was mainly bucks. And i never got any monsters, but i may have spooked one earlier in the season from 1 lick because he stared at my trailcam for a long time.

GMMAT, have you thought about the fact that it might be too late in the season for licks....the deer arent hitting mine very hard right now....once or twice a week at most.

Not to contradict myself but one of my freinds has a lick that gets visited all through deer season but only at night. Hes got some cool pics of hard racked bucks licking the salt.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are still hitting minerals here in NC...Its going to be 97 degrees or so today, I got 16 pics last week on one of my licks....I'm seeing about the same thing, more bucks than does on licks, more does than bucks on corn....next week I might try corn on top of a lick...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 AM

I've had a cam out for 2 weeks. First 12 days: 40 pictures, only small bucks (one OK 4x4). Last 2 days, 70 pics, total of 18 different bucks, 6 quality ones (2 monsters). Sometimes it's slow, and then BAM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh don't get me wrong......

I had 146 images in 8 days on my minerals.