Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk Hunting Fixed blade or mechanicals?

Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Hunting Fixed blade or mechanicals?

I'm heading to utah aug31st to hunt hells kitchen and ppl have been telling me to go from my mechanicals to fixed blade? I planned on using my new Rage mechanicals but a buddy said use Muzzy MX-3. after watching dream seaon 10 and seeing what rage broadheads have been doin i wanna give them a shot but at the same time wanna make sure i'm not messing up.. Any help would be great
thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Elk Hunting Fixed blade or mechanicals?

Honestly and I mean this for myself...I've shot 5 whitetail bucks with the Rocky Mountain Snyper (Rage's cousin) and I am thoroughly impressed with the massive entrance hole and experience....on whitetails BUT,

Personally I would not use them on elk. Having elk hunted, elk are tough, tough animals and I would personally switch to Muzzy 3 blade 100 grains myself....

That's me.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Honestly and I mean this for myself...I've shot 5 whitetail bucks with the Rocky Mountain Snyper (Rage's cousin) and I am thoroughly impressed with the massive entrance hole and experience....on whitetails BUT,

Personally I would not use them on elk. Having elk hunted, elk are tough, tough animals and I would personally switch to Muzzy 3 blade 100 grains myself....

That's me.
Good advice! I bought two packages of the MX-3's tonight.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

thats what i figured. i bought 6 muzzy 3 blade 100gr along with carbon express maxima arrows.. i would rather do it the right way then screw up and my luck it would be big lol again thanks for the info...

Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ggwash21

thats what i figured. i bought 6 muzzy 3 blade 100gr along with carbon express maxima arrows.. i would rather do it the right way then screw up and my luck it would be big lol again thanks for the info...
Hey Good Luck!!! I'm going up Saturday morning for my first bow elk hunt! I have been very lucky rifle hunting elk and I hope it continues in bow hunting! My wife is very pregnant, and I am limited tohow farI can go, but I'm still stoked!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Fork Horn

this is my first elk hunt ever... I'm so pumped i'm having issues sleeping at night and i have to wait till the 31st HAHA.. Does anyone have any info on Hells Kitchen in utah. thats all my buddy would tell me lol.