Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots, do you buy it??

Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rubber boots, do you buy it??

It's amazing that anybody even ever got a shot at anything "back in the day"
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've worn Lacrosse rubber boots for years and years... but having said that, I'm painfully aware of their shortcomings, too.

Case in point: (Well, first to all the naysayers, let me add this: I NEVER wear my boots at any time until I reach my hunting grounds. I take them off before I get behind the wheel, and replace them with some ankle-high slip-on mocassins I use just for driving to and from my hunting area. They're constantly being sprayed down with Fresh Earth Scent and I step in every mud puddle I can find.)

I had just got up in my stand a couple years ago, when I saw the farmer's lab coming across the cut bean field I had just walked in... He had his nose to the ground, and he was tracing EVERY turn and sidestep I'd made. I was hung up about thirty yards inside the woodline, and had circled downwind of my stand as I approached it. The labtook the EXACT same route as I did, andwe eventually made eye contact as he stood under my tree.

Another time Ihad walked in through some very wet conditions; aboutevery other step was in a few inches of water. I was about 100 yards inside some pretty bigwoods this time, and spotted a forkie working his waypast in the distance. I don'tcall to deer any more these days which I don't intend to shoot for fear of educating future shooters, but this was a few years ago. I called him over, and he started circling around. I swear it looked like someone took a 2x4 and slammed him in face with it when he cut my entrance trail. He wasn't downwind of me; he had actually hit my entrance trail. I was literally amazed to see that he found it in those sloshy, wet conditions and me in rubber boots.

Now... having given those examples, I've hada LOT of deer walk over my entrance trail whenwearing rubber boots that showed no sign of knowing I was in the county. I think it's the most effective system I've found todate -- but those two examples clearly showed me it's not entirely foolproof.
Do you tuck your pants inside your boots Greg?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed AE,

Rubber boots are worn more so to stop the clothing around our feet from rubbing on the surrounding vegetation etc than it is as a scent containment system as far as I'm concerned. The will no scent escaping from a rubber boot except from the tops, obviously the higher the boot, the higher the scent has to fill up to spill over.." generically speaking".

Regardless of leather or rubber, I still take all precautions necessary as far as scent control including spraying down my clothing before and after I slip on my rubber boots.

Like I mentioned, either with rubber boots or leather/cordera(sp) , my best experiences have been sprayed down with Scent Killer.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

spend the extra money and get a quality rubber boot it will make the difference
Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rubber boots and secent killer spray is what i use. Can't afford anything else plus im 1 for 1 bowhunting so i see no reason to change yet.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't doubt rubber boots work but I can't wear them. Nobody I know of makes them in 15 narrow.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I don't doubt rubber boots work but I can't wear them. Nobody I know of makes them in 15 narrow.
LOL, those ones that fit over work boots would work, nope never mind, they aint narrow. [8D]
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you tuck your pants inside your boots Greg?

Always. Except for a photo oplast yearto show off some new camo.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 PM

regular (non rubber) boots washed in the clothes washer (cold water ONLY) with the dead down wind laundry detergent. Air dry. put in scent lock box.
no problems, what so ever.
just my 2 cents
Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM

Uninsulated lacrosse burleys in the early season and the 800 grams when its cold. When its real cold toe warmers and wool socks works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Rubber boots, do you buy it??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.