Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me hunt the wind......

Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Help me hunt the wind......

If you'll look at the attached photo.....it's an aerial view of my hunting area. Orientation is basically coreect if you assume that the top of your screen is plan North.

So.....all tracts I can hunt are on the North side....with a man-made break line.....a parks system.

What wind can I hunt.....if I'm going to "hunt the wind".

Per the photo.....I can hunt every tract from the 10 acre woodlot......along the south side of the road.....as far as you can see.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me hunt the wind......

photo did not come up Jeff.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Bartender

Jeff If I may I will take a look tonight and post later. I love these kind of posts. I posted one and I have a stand called Germ so we will see what happens there.
Also where you parking at or entrance pretty much?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, hard to tell. i see the "honey hole labled..its high...maybe move the screen up and center your spots on the map...

also, id need a better photo to try to guess thickets and likely bedding areas...i assume the darker green would be it? i cant tell. if so, id say from the honey hole, the deer bed infront of you(south) and youd need a wind blowing from the south to the north.

really all depends where the deer are. you dont want your scent blowing towards the deer. (duh..) but its hard to say where the deer are, from that photo...
Old 08-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

You're correct. They bed in the pines in the park. I enter from the North....using various (and varying) entry routes.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I asked this question to sort of let everyone know what a conundrum I'd be in if I "hunted the wind" all the time.

Prevailing Wind here is from the SW. If I hunt this wind in the mornings.....my scent would be drifting in the direction the deer are coming from. I could hutn this wind in the evenings, just fine.

If I hunt a N wind (rare)......I could successfully hunt the mornings.....but not the evenings......but even then my scent would be drifting into their bedding area. E or W wind.....and I'm contaminating whichever hunting area I have to either side that's downwind of me.

I have to hunt what I have. I have to practice scent control to the best of my ability......play the wind to a certain point.....and hunt.

My way is working, so far. It's not possible for me to "hunt the wind" and hunt NEARLY as much as I do. I enjoy hunting too much to let it dictate whether or not I sit in the house.I'll take my chances that I know my deer as much as anyone.....and what they'll tolerate.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are all the numbers homes??
Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Are all the numbers homes??
MOHO, no...there are no homes in the park. I'm not sure what the numbers are. Would they be elevations...?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

The numbers are grade elevations.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its pretty simple. On a north wind you hunt stands on the south side and south wind the north side. East ,west bla bla bla. In your situation I doubt it matters with the number of deer you speak of.

Quick Reply: Help me hunt the wind......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.