Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me hunt the wind......

Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Help me hunt the wind......

I've got more than that. My buddy on the 120 acre lease is shooting does, too. We've got basically a square mile we're hunting. I'll take 8 does.....Tim took 9 already.....Gray's said he'll take at least 4. That's 20+ does out of one square mile.....in one season. I'd bet it ends up being 25.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 PM

I agree GMMAT i too have trouble ALWAYS hunting the PERFECT wind, just because my land is set up not so much in my favor, it favors the deer much more.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Beagle001

I agree GMMAT i too have trouble ALWAYS hunting the PERFECT wind, just because my land is set up not so much in my favor, it favors the deer much more.
I had the same issue, runs West is front and East is back. I went to boat and water.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've got more than that. My buddy on the 120 acre lease is shooting does, too. We've got basically a square mile we're hunting. I'll take 8 does.....Tim took 9 already.....Gray's said he'll take at least 4. That's 20+ does out of one square mile.....in one season. I'd bet it ends up being 25.
Well there is useful info Your neighbors must like you[:-]
Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, my friend... Don't think we're saying you can't hunt if the wind isn't directly in your face. You can hunt with the wind in either ear too (crosswind). In many cases, you might have to set up so the wind is quartering. Set so that the scent is blowing in the direction that it doesn't cross the path where you expect the deer to be coming from, but crosses their path beyond you into the area they are going to. Sometimes they'll reverse and come right back to you when they catch your scent.

You just never want the breeze directly at your back if you can possibly help it.

You can't forget vertical air currents either. Air that's warming up rises, so in still conditions or very light wind in the morning you want to be higher than the deer. Treestand or up on a hillside. Air that's cooling off sinks, so in the evening you want to be down lower and look for deer that are up on the hillside. In those cases, if you have to set where the wind is at your back, it's not quite as bad. Or, again, be crosswind or have it quartering away from where you expect the deer.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Dominant Buck

We started meeting and talking about what everybody was thinking. I don't say I trust one of them 100%......but the other speaks the truth. I trust him.

Nuff said on the topic, though......I appreciate the discussion.