Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me hunt the wind......

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Help me hunt the wind......

I guess it differs on what you want to do.
What is it you think I try to do?

If your out to shoot a pile of deer like you are, I understand.
I wasn't last year. I hunted the same way you did.

I am trying to shoot "A" deer everytime I go out. Meaning when I am doe hunting I treat it like I am hunting for a mature buck. I do everything thesame.
So did I, last year. I won't change a thing, this year.

I would rather hunt 4 weeks without seeing a deer than risk giving away my position to a mature buck just once.
And you're assuming he WOULD bust you. I risk that he won't. Different approach.

Way I look at it everytime a mature buck winds you walking to your stand, you have just decreased your chance at killingthat buck by 80% in that area.
Way I see it.....you have a ZERO percent chance of killing a buck if you're not where he travels.

Their brains are smaller than a pear.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well don't forget I tried to do what you are trying to do. I have pile respect for your effort. Good luck

If you ever quote me like that again I am going to drive to NC and wimp your arse
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 PM

forget the wind, just hunt- right??...

Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Well don't forget I tried to do what you are trying to do.
Do you think it's futile, Gary? I'm naive enough to think it isn't, still. I just don't know. I know I'm likely going to sacrifice a couple of years of hunting like I'd LIKE to.....to hunt like I feel I NEED to.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. I sure would feel good if things turned around.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it was futile for me.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Germ

Yes it was futile for me.
Gary, explain this to me cause I don't know what you tried to do?

As far as Jeff's situation, it's only futile if the deer population goes up which could be the case having been there, seen it. The doe population is way, way out of control and Jeff alone might not be enough. He's getting help from the farmer across the Park and if he can get a number of guys surrounding the park or himself and friends do try...at least try to check the numbers.

We all know that an overpopulation of does will stunt not only the deer but the buck quality as well.

A freezer full of venison, opportunity to feed others, attempting to thin the herd, getting years of experience in one season, I see no negative to the attemp Jeff, futile is yet to be seen.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm serious......why?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because I could not kill enough deer to make a dent in my area. It is just as important to do so in the surrending areas, what happens is if your landis what thedeer prefer those deer are replace with others.Deer just gravitate to your area. You have the same or more deer than you did before.

Since no one else is whacking does it becomes a futile effort(did for me). I got frustrated and mad and was not enjoying hunting. Again it may be different for you. Just what I went through
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Dominant Buck

It's a real possibility.....that I won't knock a dent in them. Hell I don't know "what if" unless I try, though. I can tell you this......if I lay 8 or so does down......the farmer's already killed 9.......and we do this for a couple more years......with no discernable difference.....I'll be disappointed.

I'll especially be disapponted if I forego possible buck opportunities in doing so. Killing deer isn't "all that". I have a way I WANT to hunt. I'm just not gonna get to do that for a while. I would LOVE to hunt 3 or so deer.....exclusively. That is my carrot.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if you have 1 guy with you, that is 100% more help than I got

Quick Reply: Help me hunt the wind......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.