Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me hunt the wind......

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help me hunt the wind......

Here is my rule:

I hunt the stand the puts the least amount of wind between me and the deer when I am walking in and hunting.

If I am hunting the North side of a lot. The wind is coming from the SW. I hunt NE side and enter from that side. Assuming the deer are bedding in front of the stand. I want to limit my scent as much as possible. If I can have only NE side "tainted" with my scent it leaves all other sections clean. All about % IMO
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I approach it a little differently, Germ. i watch where most of the deer movement is.....and I try to put myself in the best spot to be THERE .......and play the wind as "important".....but not the end-all to dictating whether I hunt or not.

My location is "unique". Granted.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

In your situation I doubt it matters with the number of deer you speak of.
I'd give most the benefit of the doubt as to knowing their situation, as well. If I hunted your woods......I might take a different approach......totally different outlook.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might get real boared because I bet you will see more deer on openiong day than I will all season. Your welcome to come join me though.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

And you know if you can work it out, Chris....you are welcome in my woods, any time. Open invitation. Come see your bro and shoot whatever you want. Hell I'll drag 'em and butcher 'em!

Now.....about that KS invite.....

My goal in 3 yrs is......more healthy deer......less deer. I'd sacrifice the sightings for the end result.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

You might get real boared because I bet you will see more deer on openiong day than I will all season. Your welcome to come join me though.
I saw more deer in one morning and two evenings than I saw in two seasons where I hunt albeit I saw less bucks but no one can condemn a man who has a great spot.....and thus his agenda to thin the herd this year. I wish I had it so good (numbers).
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess it differs on what you want to do.

If your out to shoot a pile of deer like you are, I understand.

I am trying to shoot "A" deer everytime I go out. Meaning when I am doe hunting I treat it like I am hunting for a mature buck. I do everything thesame. I hunt what the wind gives me. I have sat where I was sure I would not see a deer, but the wind was right. I would rather hunt 4 weeks without seeing a deer than risk giving away my position to a mature buck just once.

Way I look at it everytime a mature buck winds you walking to your stand, you have just decreased your chance at killingthat buck by 80% in that area.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Id like to have more sightings and less monster racks...for now anyway, until i can get my bow kill numbers up.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I saw more deer in one morning and two evenings than I saw in two seasons where I hunt albeit I saw less bucks but no one can condemn a man who has a great spot.....and thus his agenda to thin the herd this year. I wish I had it so good (numbers).

No condimnation here brothers. If I were him I would be doing the same thing. Its an open invite here to Jeff, but you will have to hunt the wind.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that the areas I hunt that are near a higher level of human activity I tend to get away with deer winding me a lot more. Now granted I don't set up without taking the wind into consideration but I do feel there is a certain level of "human intrusion" that the deer are used to and I will hunt a stand knowing the wind is not absolutely perfect because of that.

I won't try that at the farm though. I'll hear nothing but hooves stomping and deer blowing and I'll see nothing but white flags waving in the distance or nothing at all.

Quick Reply: Help me hunt the wind......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.