Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Butt Out tool; useful or crappy?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default Butt Out tool; useful or crappy?

Do these tools really work?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Butt Out tool; useful or crappy?

Take a look at TEAM 43 in the bowhunting contest and you tell me if it works?

HAHAHAHAH

Honestly never tried it.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM

I would love to know what these are for? Crappy would be the literal word used to describe this tool. At what part of the gutting/skinning process would you use this? Please elighten us!!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 PM

All depends on how you field dress the deer. I just cut a slit big enough to get into. First I cut the throat and sever the esophagus, then I trim around the anus with my knife, then cut the slit near the rib cage. Then I reach in and pull in the guts out along with the colon and anus. After that I cut the diaphragm and take the lungs, heart and esophagus out.

This leaves me with a small slit in the belly, a slit in the neck and a hole in the hind end. I prefer this over splitting the whole deer in half. I get kind of messy but the deer remains nice and clean while I drag it and take it to the processor.

While I could see the purpose of this tool, I just don't see the need for it. I can do the whole thing with one sharp thin bladed knife. I really don't like carrying more crap than I need to.

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

All depends on how you field dress the deer. I just cut a slit big enough to get into. First I cut the throat and sever the esophagus, then I trim around the anus with my knife, then cut the slit near the rib cage. Then I reach in and pull in the guts out along with the colon and anus. After that I cut the diaphragm and take the lungs, heart and esophagus out.

This leaves me with a small slit in the belly, a slit in the neck and a hole in the hind end. I prefer this over splitting the whole deer in half. I get kind of messy but the deer remains nice and clean while I drag it and take it to the processor.

While I could see the purpose of this tool, I just don't see the need for it. I can do the whole thing with one sharp thin bladed knife. I really don't like carrying more crap than I need to.

Paul
haha thats wat this tool is designed for

seriously though, i think it is useful for you if you clean your deer that way. as paul stated, other ways of cleaning exist and would not require this tool. i too cut the throat to sever the esophagus, but isn't an option for a good buck, because that would make for a very ugly mount.[:'(]
Old 08-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Why do you cut the throat?

I don't understand why this is necessary. The deer's already bled out.....be it internally or externally.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why do you cut the throat?

I don't understand why this is necessary. The deer's already bled out.....be it internally or externally.
just a trick my buddies sted dad showed me last year when we were field dressing and butchering a doe in his deer camp. he said if you sever the esophagus, all the vital organs pull out much easier (they just fell out with the guts and stomach). you can sever it from the inside, which gets you shoulder deep in blood and guts, or just cut it from the outside.

i thought it sounded like a useful tip for dressing does, but if he is wrong i'd like to know now.

you obviously will be butchering ALOT of deer this year, how do you go about field dressing a deer? just curious, ive only killed 5 deer in my life, and i am still learning the ropes when it comes to cleaning and butchering deer, but ive learned alot with each one ive done.

also, i was told last year, that it is much easier/quicker to (when possible) not gut a doe, just hand her up immediately, skin it down to the shoulders (hangin from back legs) and just cut the meat off the shoulders backstraps and hams, leaving the guts with the rest of the carcass....is this a good idea or too good to be true? anyone....
Old 08-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Only thing youlose with that method is the inner tender loins (lots around here call it the sweet meat). I'll probably do that on few of the small does, this year.

I gut mine like everybody else (around here) does.....start a the a-hole and go forward. I cut up to the sternum.....and I can get all the entrails, from there.....cutting the espohagus last to release them.

I typically do this......then rinse out the cavity.......then out to my building to hang by the hind legs for butchering.

No wrong way I guess.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to gut it and hang it for a few days. Gutting the deer helps the carcass to cool off quickly, especially if you prop the cavity open with a stick.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I saw a guy use it three differnt times. I couldn't bleive how good it worked. Great tool! If I didn't see it work I would have said don't buy it.

Quick Reply: Butt Out tool; useful or crappy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.