Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Use of Scents

Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Use of Scents

Does anybody have anyluck with this tactic? I can't say ihave everhad any[:'(]
Old 08-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Default RE: Use of Scents

i dont usually use scents and i have had deer by me every year so id say its a hit and miss thing
Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 PM

I have tried themand never had any luck but I know some people that have had luck out of them
Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Has to be the rite time of the season, sents will work. I will tie a drag rag during the pre-rut.

I killed my 2 best bucks with a grunt and doe bleet though. Both bucks past me a were way out of shooting range over 80 yds. I killed both of them at about 10 yds, after hitting the calls a few times. They both came rite to me.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 PM

I used some buck urine last year utilizing some mock scrapes.....I found it worked pretty well. I had quite a few bucks (admitedly they were all 2 and a half or younger) bury their noses in them.

One in particular was fun.....He walked into my set up from upwind and I could tell the instant he caught wind of that scrape...He stopped, pointed his nose in the air licking it, and whirled around.....Walked right to it and just buries his nose in it......I could hear him snorting from the stand......That was pretty cool.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use of scents? Absolutely! Everytime I use them? Absolutely not. No particular scent I believe will work everytime you put it out. However depending on the time of year and deer habits at that time ex. Rut, early season, post rut they can greatly increase your odds.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't use any scent at all, just Scent-Killer.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM
cet

If you are hunting smaller parcels of land, the deer that call that land home KNOW the other deer in the area..each has a particular smell (just like humans). More times than not, scent attractants like doe in heat will spook deer. In fact if a doe walks near it, she will usually BLOW..then your hunt is over!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Bartender

yeppers
Old 08-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Attractant scent such as apple, acorn, vanilla, Early Season
Reg Doe urine, anytime
Buck urine, pre-rut thru the rut
Estrous doe urine, rut only.

Yes non-estrous does will avoid estrous does. Doesn't matter if they're familiar or not.

Quick Reply: Use of Scents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.