Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

land boardering city limits.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default land boardering city limits.

This is the timber that city limits line runs through. I have seen 2 very nice bucks in the area and from what I can tell this is where they live. I saw them last year with some does on the west side of the timber and this year when I saw them they were about 1/4 mile west of this timber in a soybean field. There is no timber to the west, south, very little to north but there is some to the east however after looking closely there are no tracks along the road that runs between the two timbers. After staring at these two maps for hours, I have no idea where to hunt. Suggestions are welcome.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: land boardering city limits.

bassman,

I'm not helping other teams. [8D]

j/k. Just hazarding a guess (w/o scale) and looking at the road and development, and
assuming that the "Rural" is a crop and what is next to it is water, I would say to look at putting
a stand somewhere just north of that red line inside those woods on a funnel or ditch. In an
area that developed, they are probably traveling in a low area.

Stand location (and when to hunt) will depend if any are bedding in that patch w/ the red line
or if they are bedding to the north though.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Below red line is city limits, above red line is rural or whatever. This may look very confusing but this is what everything is.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 AM

i would try the back edge by the freild drive by in the mornins an evenings in your truck an see where they are coming out to the feilds an go from there
Old 08-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would place a stand in the "woods to hunt" area along the creek bed.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

WHERE DO THEY BED??????

Unless I know this...I can't help.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

WHERE DO THEY BED??????

Unless I know this...I can't help.
GMMAT Being that this timber is soo small, to be honest Ive never been in it. Judging by the topo and prevoius bedding areas on other land Im goin to take a shot in the dark and say it is somewhere in this box.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without walking the woods to see what you have, I would start with where I have put the yellow dots. The deer will like to use the ditches to move out to the corn fields in the evenings. I would also put a couple in that long finger to the South so you could cover the travel thru it. And the one to the Northeast looks like it would be a good spot to catch them crossing the road from one woods to another. There has to be some good spots in the middle of the woods too, but you would have to scout it to find creek crossings or oak trees or persimmons. Can't tell that from a photo.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I know its next to Impossible to judge by a photo. I just wanted to see if you guys thought that such a small timber would even be huntable. Its maybe 2 acres if that and getting in there without spooking the deer is gonna be a SOB. On the other hand with all the houses around these deer are used to hearing, smelling, and probably seeing people and may not see a threat. This fall I guess all my questions will be answered one way or another.