Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fenceing hunting land

Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default fenceing hunting land

not to shoot the subject to death but in my post tresspassers 2 some of you said to install fences be it barbwire or just a reguler fence

i plan to post signs maybe with a embtie casing on top of it but if i install a fence be it barb wire or what ever i worry is what will this do for my wildlife ie deer and turkey comein on and off my property also it was said a one line barbwire fence on a quad track at chest hieght would speel a proplem in a law suet what about a barbwire fence in any area will i get sued if a guy catchs his sack and i do not mean sack of hunting suppleys of my fence will i get sued or is it just the fact you but one somewhere where you know that someone will hit it
also are there any sign out there that can't me removed easy and can't get shot to bits
Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Default RE: fenceing hunting land

I put 4 strand barbed wire around my property last fall and I have seen 8 different does, 2 bucks and 13 turkeyson my game camera so far. Leave some funnel areas with the fence high at the bottom so the young can get under and the top low so the elders will jump over. Preferable close to your stands. One or two strand fences will get you sued. Get cheap signs cause I had nice sturdy metal backed onesand they were stolen.If you have atrue fence and a trespassercuts themselves, thats great. Should not have been there anyway. Hope they bleed out.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A single strand across an ATV track may be a legal problem,A 4-strand won't stop the game. I'd fence it and put a sign in plain sight, why would you want anyone to get hurt? Besides even if you win the lawsuit it will cost you time and money!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

If you've ever seen a deer jump a barbwire fence, you'll see it is no problem at all, effortless for a grown deer to jump an average fence. Also be aware that a fence might not be a problem to trespassers too. It can cost alot of time and money to build a good, long lasting fence. Just don't expect to never have another trespasser ever again, becuase it probably wont happen.

Oh- I just read your other post. Do you own this land or lease it or what? If your having that much trouble and you've tried reporting them and putting up signs and what not, and you lease it, I'd find another lease. But, obviously if you own it, you have to pretty much find a way to deal with it. I'd never put up barb wire or spikes to hurt someone, you easily accidently kill someone doing that, trespassing isn't punishable by death. Not to mention, you could have someone get lost (not trespassing, honestly lost) and stumble upon a spike and fall on it or anything, you just don't know.

Well good luck to you and I hope your situation gets better.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep. Deer can easily jump a 4 strand barb wire fence. They can just as easily belly crawl right under it, much to my amazement. I watched a 12-pointer in velvet do that very thing a couple of years ago.

And they're a terrific aid for scouting. Walk the fence line and look for hair tangled up in the barbs. When you find hair, remove it. Look again a couple days later. If there's fresh hair, odds are you've found a regular crossing.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Signs and fences are not going to keep people out. Theres not alot you can do unless you catch them in the act.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, a fence won't keep people out but it darn sure removes any excuse they might have for being there. You can't hardly say you didn't know you were trespassing when you climb a fence to get in there. Plus, when there is no fence a lot of people consider that an open invitation. You can be sure the trespassers you get with a fence are complete deadheads.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

here what i do since my property is surrounded on mostly all sides and the only way for the local tresspassers to get on is the one trail i take logs and using the winch on my fourwheeler and the after i create a log jam i hang some over the trail ,by the trees and this effectively seals off the property from tresspassers