Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Groups?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Groups?

That's what about a 2.5 inch circle which I have no trouble seeing at 40 plus yards, it's on a Morrell bag.

I am never satisfied if there is an arrow outside the black circle of the bag regardless of the distance I am shooting. When I shoot shorter than 40 yards, I don't shoot the same circle because of busting nocks and arrows and these ACC's are not cheap.

I'm not saying everyone should not settle for less, I'm my biggest competitor so that's my goals.

And yes, it certainly helps being able to see what your aiming at. I shoot with both eyes open, (second eye partially open) and I use small fiber pins, longer distances I use .019 pins so that my pin doe not block my intended target. The longer the distance you shoot accurately, the easier it is to make tighter groups up closer.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:17 PM

Tight groups are fine and dandy for fancy shootin matches, but a deer wont know if you hit 1.1654" off your "true" aiming point...
They will know however if you cut up their lungs or heart.
Groups are for practice anyway, you "Rarely" get a deer to stand perfectly still while you punch 4 arrows in a 2" circle at any yardage. If you can consistently hit a Vital area size target, nothing else matters.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I see what you are saying. My black dots in the center of the circle are about 1 inch. I can see those fairly well at 30yds in a shaded part of my yard at 0'dark30. I see what all the fuss is about now with shooting with both eyes open. I started doing this a good while back and it has helped my follow thru and being able to watch my arrow tremondously. If you can do this consistently, I recommend doing it. I also believe if we would all practice shooting at a more lifelike target(including real deer hair color) in early morning/late evening shade, we would begin to find some inconsistency in our shooting. I know I did. A lot of difference in that and shooting at that whit or yellow bag with the black dots. JMO

LT
Old 08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

Tight groups are fine and dandy for fancy shootin matches, but a deer wont know if you hit 1.1654" off your "true" aiming point...
They will know however if you cut up their lungs or heart.
Groups are for practice anyway, you "Rarely" get a deer to stand perfectly still while you punch 4 arrows in a 2" circle at any yardage. If you can consistently hit a Vital area size target, nothing else matters.
True dat.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

beesknees, you have a valid point. As Rob said, this is true. I am also of the mindset as with any other goals, to be as accurate as possible is the best way to hit your intended target.

LT
Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting multiple arrows with field tips I expect shots to should stack tight touching each other in a 1 inch circle or less at 20 yards or less..2 inch circle out to 30 yards and at forty 2.5..bout all I want to see..or I am not happy.

That being said, like Rob talked about, ACC's get expensive and breaking stuff sucks. I've started calling my shots versus worrying about groups so much after I've alreadygot my groupings very tight.. for example I will call "1 inch to the right left top or bottom of an existing arrow"so I dont hit it. When shooting multiple arrowswith my partner, we do that all time. Its kind of like playing "horse" with a bow.

I shootout to50 yardstoo..and shoot it well. Just for practice though..doubt I would ever trip the release on anything other than a broadside stone still bull elk at 50 yards...Whitetails I like to take shots at 30 or less.. 40 pin max.. I shoot .019's and love them.. this new Copper John Pro hunter 2 is amazing in low light as well.

Once hunting season gets close and after shooting almost every day all summer... like right now...I am shooting 1 arrow at a time with broadheads intact.Every shot has to count, just like when we hunt...or its no good. NO second chances... My buddy and I are doing that right now..1 shot at atime from every angle and distance we ar comfortable with..(off the roof of the house, off a knee, sitting, aiming up hill, standing all anglesetc) ..this takes some time but it gets me focused for hunting ..

Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

I know this has been asked before, but I cant remember the replies. How do you keepyour hand steadyenough at 40 yards to consistantly put an arrow in a 2" circle?

Im having trouble with my old fred bear bow. The biggest problems include a long drawlength,inconsistant releasing (I dont use a release aid because ofthe long draw length), and only about 20% letoff (Its a 60# bow). Im able to hit a pie plate at 20 yards, but at 30, the arrows tend todrift all over. I can usually hit a sheet of paper 3/5 times at 30. Do you have any suggestions to help tighten my groups or should I just keep my shots within the 20 yard range untill Im able to buy a new bow?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Im a firm believer in Practice, Practice, Practice as well, I shoot as much as possible All year long. I also Have noticed that mister buck doesnt know when I started shooting,how tiny ofgroups I shoot, what kind of broadhead I am using, or much else... He knows "MMMM! that smells good!, "pop", "whats that?!" "ooooff! ouch, Im dead"

All that other stuff is just frosting on the cake, the buck is dead, so he wont be interested in any cake...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 PM

i always practiced saying if i could keep all my six practice arrows in a paper plate...every time...then i can shoot at that distance in the woods
Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

I know this has been asked before, but I cant remember the replies. How do you keepyour hand steadyenough at 40 yards to consistantly put an arrow in a 2" circle?

Im having trouble with my old fred bear bow. The biggest problems include a long drawlength,inconsistant releasing (I dont use a release aid because ofthe long draw length), and only about 20% letoff (Its a 60# bow). Im able to hit a pie plate at 20 yards, but at 30, the arrows tend todrift all over. I can usually hit a sheet of paper 3/5 times at 30. Do you have any suggestions to help tighten my groups or should I just keep my shots within the 20 yard range untill Im able to buy a new bow?
If your comfortable at 20, go for it.

Personally I would go get something that FITS! Spend a few bucks and put nice hardware on it, tune it up, and practice like theres no tomorrow. Youll be amazed how much better and consistent you will be shooting with a well fitting bow.

Quick Reply: Groups?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.