Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TRESSPASSERES

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Default RE: TRESPASSERS

Kshort wrote:"THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IF YOU HUNT YOU SHOULD LET OTHERS HUNT YOUR LAND AS WELL....BUT SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE THEIR HEAD UP SOMEWHERE"

Did not quite understand what you are trying to say? Why would someone with their own land want to trespass ("sneak")on someone elses land other than to recover ananimal. But still here in missouri you can't legally recover an animal if you have to trespass.Trespassing is Trespassing! And NOyou should not have to letanyone hunt on your private property. They can buy their own land or treat the landowner right. Trespassers have ruined the feelings of private landowners. Trespassing, theft and other recent actions over the past 10 years have caused landowners to cut thier liabilities by not permitting anyone to hunt their property.Remember 2 yrs agowhen there were7 or 8 un-armed people killed on their own land by a trespasser just cause they asked him to leave. Landowners spendalot of money trying to protect their investment.Fencing, gates etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:53 PM

well i for 1 dont care but if i hear that someone hunts on me and post their land then i will ask that person not to hunt on me again..
Old 08-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I had an encounter with a few people mushroom hunting one time. The had parked along the road and were in our woods going about like they owned the place so I stopped and told them they were trespassing but they still refused to leave . We exchanged a few words with no results. I went home and got my shotgun and let them talk to it for a minute and then they left. Some peole really have a lot of nerve.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Catch them in the act and have them prosecuted and the word of mouth will get around.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: TRESSPASSERES

well in the family history books if i look back on our cabin property we have called the authorities we have shot treestands outof tree with buckshot(my favorite) we have had fights and near gunfights(they found my uncle gutting a deer and they claimed it although he shot it and then the started to get a little gun "happy" pointing it in his direction)
then the occasional car chase and this was all with the same family of locals who thought just because we were'nt there during the week they could shoot our deer break into our cabins and steal our guns sleeping bags and even the food out of the fridge[:@]

PS:My unclelet the people have the deer
Old 08-12-2007, 10:36 PM

Default RE: TRESSPASSERES

I actually walked up on a guy one time during muzzleloader. When he yelled at me "Thanks you just ruined my hunt!". Well my response was sorry but do you realize your hunting private property and by the way I was planning on hunting right over there (About 100 yards over). Well while he was huffing and puffing I just walked by and took my stand. I could hear him#itchin out loud walking away for the next five minutes. Finally left. And by the way I killed a seven point about an hour later.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theres really not much anyone can do to prevent tresspassers from entering private property. Just because you have no tresspassing signs up, isnt going to keep anyone out that wants to get in. It just doesnt make any difference to them.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Like most....we have our property fenced and posted. I'll tell you that 99% of the people honor the signs. I have found out that if you call the law and let them deal with it works best. Word gets out that if you get caught, you get arrested vs. just chased off, then the other 1% gets a little smarter.I've collected a few deer stands over the years, leaving a note telling them that they can find their stand at the sheriff's office.No one has ever claimed a stand.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have out leases posted according to the law, and my BIL's land that is adjacent to it is fenced. Fences stop people (most of the time) but posting doesn't. We have people that trespass. Their mindset is one of two types in my experience;

1) I hunted here before you came along and just because you lease/own it won't stop me,

2) I leased/bought the land next to your land/lease and by default, I'm going to hunt your land because I drove all of the deer off of mine, because I can't hunt worth a ****.

Prosecutions would work if we could catch them on our land/leases and hold them there until some lazy sheriff's deputy got out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. We have used some improvised devices before to make it expensive for them to drive their four wheelers over though.