Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binoculars & Bowhunting?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Binoculars & Bowhunting?

Okay, I have been thinking of picking up a decent pair of binos for this season. I have been looking at all brands mainly steiner? Anyways, their predator line is supposed to help you see animals easier.

I hunt in thick brush and wonder how often I would use them. It would be nice to spot a buck, before he spots me. So, how many guys on here use binos while bowhunting and what brand do you use? Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Binoculars & Bowhunting?

I do...Always, even when squirrel hunting with a .22...

For probably 20 years I used a pair of compact Bushnells...Finally got smart and bought a pair of Nikon ATB 8x42s...
With the bino straps they now make, you don't even know you have them on....I figure as you get older, your eyes need all the help you can get and it seems I'm also a little more laid back with my deer hunting and enjoy just watching nature more...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never bowhunt without binoculars with me. Sometimes when I have been in the thick stuff I had spotted deer within 30 yards tht I didn't notice when I glassed it without.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my binos all the time... Bushnell 10x42... they are a little heavy, but well worth it.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I use mine A LOT! and I love my Diamondbacks 10x42 Vortex...best quality for the price IMHO

Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compact Bushnells 7.5-15X32 (I think that is the reticle size anyway). I like them for when spot and stalk hunting and they are more than adequate for on the stand as well. Obviously I sacrafice a little low light performance for size and weight. If you will not be hiking many miles with the binos on, then a larger reticle is probably better.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never hunt without mine. I use the Bushnell Trophy 10x42 and love them. Great bino's for the price.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Bino's and hunting is like American express--I don't leave home without 'em!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some small Predators (10x26) that I don't like much. The second the sun goes down
they are worthless, but that probably has to do with the fact that they are lightweight 10x26.

I'm not sure I buy into the fact that they help you spot game. I'm sure they put some filter
or coating on the lens to help create contrast with brown, but I wouldn't make a decision
based on that almost unnoticeable feature.

I really like my 8x42s. I like 8x for the following reasons:

(1) bowhunting and general hunting in wooded/agricultural areas you don't need to see out
a thousand yards,

(2) bigger field of view (easier to scan),

(3) easier to hold still,

(4) better light gathering.

I like 42mm or larger objective b/c they are superior at light gathering. At dusk is when my eyes
start to fail and I start "seeing things," which is when binos do their best work for me.

I will get some eyerolling for this one, but I got the BPS Epic's on sale (I think they are on sale
again this year for the hunting classic). They are probably made by Bushnell, and are roof prism,
Bak-4, phase coated, twist eye cups, armored, diopter adjustment. Are they as good as Swaros?
Hell no. Did they cost me 1/12th the price? Yes. They get the job done very competently.
Since they are cheap, they are heavy (none of this magnesium). But for the price (especially
on sale), an excellent buy on a budget. With the bino harness I hardly notice them.

If a little higher budget, I would go with the Burris Signature Selects in 8 or 10 x 42. Great binoculars.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Color me surprised ,I thought it was a far out idea. Interesting, is Bushnell just as good as Steiner? I have heard good things about Steiner in the past, but if Bushnell is similar for a lot cheaper I may go that direction.

Quick Reply: Binoculars & Bowhunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.