Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

difficulty of private vs. public land

Old 08-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Default difficulty of private vs. public land

since i must hunt public land this year, i was wandering how much harder it is to kill deer on public than private land. what aspects are more difficult, or even jus different. aside from the fact that i cant sleep at hunting camp, wake up and walk to my stand (which i loved), what else makes it more challenging to kill deer on public ground. im talking about either deer in general (does, little bucks, any type of deer) and also good deer (mature bucks). is there anyone who can hunt both types of prefers hunting the public land over the private?i hope this question makes sense. thanks guys
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: difficulty of private vs. public land

one thing i like about public land is the tracts of it i hunt are large. if i feel like walkin i aint gunna run outta room...if i see other hunters which i feel are hampering my hunt, big deal...i walk to one of my deeper spots. also like the....variety of habitats i can get on public land. i can hunt a pine thicket...or a hardwood flat...or a creek bottom...a mountain side...a maturing cut etc etc...most private land is smaller and you dont get that variety..

i have worse times hunting private land around here than public alot of times. around here private land is generally small..most of it is crops...and if you got permission, so does everyone else...atleast the people i deal with and where i hunt. so to me it may as well be public land.

thats just how MY private vs public goes. i hunt both. i enjoy to hunt both.

just take my advice...if your in a state with a decint hunter population(1 million or so in PA!) get away from the trails. last year i didnt see ANY bowhunters. but i had a squirrel hunter sit pretty much directly under my stand..i had my orange out...he never seen me till i coughed really loud and waved my orange hat...he still didnt go but 15 more yards...another time i had a fall turkey hunter setup across the gasline from me. im halfway up my tree...waved..climbed the rest of the way and he still sat down and tried to call turkeys.... 11 thousand acres and they hunt where im hunting..parked beside my truck only truck parked on the whole road! but thats public land. i know the deer like the habitat close to the road and are in there during the bow season. guess i gotta go a bit deeper this year...or off the trails/gaslines/parking lots..
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

i have always hunted public land and the worst part about it is that so many people hunt public that its hard to find big bucks (only bucks are legalin california). you find good deer but hardly ever great deer(trophy wise that is, to me every deer is a great deer)
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Public land here is a real crapshoot. My uncles, cousins, and grandpa all hunted public land 20+ times last year and saw like 4 deer combined. My stepdad and friend go another day, 1 time, and doubled up on does. I prefer Private heavily.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM
bigcountry

I actually like public land sometimes. I have some private land, and I get bored looking at the same landscape sitting in the same area, waiting to ambush deer, I know are going to walk by hoping a buck decided to join. Its gets to a point where it doesn't feel like hunting. So I hunt all kinds of public land around you. In MD, its fairly easy. First off, you have to worry about someone being in your spot. You need to have at least 2 spots picked out. Second, plan for the public to push deer to you, or plan for the deer to move around them. Its a cool challenge and sometimes works out nice. But be prepared to walk 1.5miles in or more. I have shot a buck on the eastern shore that I saw sneaking very carefully around a trail, just to run into me.

I love hunting different places, scouting them, and looking over new land. Don't be so worried about having private land.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends entirely upon where you are in the world. In Alaska... I think its just about all public land. In most parts of VA (unless you count military bases, and GWNF aside), most of the WMAs are overrun with hunters. Most have little no respect for their fellow hunters.

All depends on where you are.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mauser06

one thing i like about public land is the tracts of it i hunt are large. if i feel like walkin i aint gunna run outta room...if i see other hunters which i feel are hampering my hunt, big deal...i walk to one of my deeper spots. also like the....variety of habitats i can get on public land. i can hunt a pine thicket...or a hardwood flat...or a creek bottom...a mountain side...a maturing cut etc etc...most private land is smaller and you dont get that variety..

i have worse times hunting private land around here than public alot of times. around here private land is generally small..most of it is crops...and if you got permission, so does everyone else...atleast the people i deal with and where i hunt. so to me it may as well be public land.

thats just how MY private vs public goes. i hunt both. i enjoy to hunt both.

just take my advice...if your in a state with a decint hunter population(1 million or so in PA!) get away from the trails. last year i didnt see ANY bowhunters. but i had a squirrel hunter sit pretty much directly under my stand..i had my orange out...he never seen me till i coughed really loud and waved my orange hat...he still didnt go but 15 more yards...another time i had a fall turkey hunter setup across the gasline from me. im halfway up my tree...waved..climbed the rest of the way and he still sat down and tried to call turkeys.... 11 thousand acres and they hunt where im hunting..parked beside my truck only truck parked on the whole road! but thats public land. i know the deer like the habitat close to the road and are in there during the bow season. guess i gotta go a bit deeper this year...or off the trails/gaslines/parking lots..
Mauser one trick I have learned on Public land is to break it down. When I hunt I take 100-150 acre sections and master that area. I have setups for all the wind directions. I learn where to walk and where not to walk. I learn there travle routes, bedding area, etc.

Right now I have 4 big woodlots I hunt in Northern MI. In each of those 4 I have 2 to 3 sections I hunt and know.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot has to do were the public/private land is... If your talking about public land in the mid west, it prob isn't that bad... Your talking about public land in Md,Del,NJ, you got your work cut out for yaAs far as private land goes... A lot has to do were it is, how big it is and how much pressure it gets... A 200 acre farm with 10 guys stumbling around on it could be worst than public... Now you take 500-1000 acres farmin decent whitetail country. Add lite hunting pressure and you have a recipe for some easy hunting

Over all if your hunting public land on the eastern untied states from florida up to say Pa you are in for some real huntin
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

It all boils down to pressure. How much pressure a piece of ground recieves and the animals that use it. Public or private.

Any area that recieves little to no pressure is much easier to hunt. The animals on it will move more freely in the daylight, even the older bucks.

How many whitetail shows do you see being made on public grounds....
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM

it all depends where you are...some public land is the bomb and some isnt...just do your fair share of scouting and youll know

Quick Reply: difficulty of private vs. public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.