Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

difficulty of private vs. public land

Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 AM

Default RE: difficulty of private vs. public land

A good idea is if your a bowhunter is to hunt ONLY bow public land during rifle seoson . You will probly be the only person out there and the deer wont be preshured as bad . just something to think about .
Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Something not widely known......

There is NO public land available for hunting in my county. I honestly couldn't begin to tell you where I'd have to go......or how far I'd have to drive to hunt public land.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Something not widely known......

There is NO public land available for hunting in my county. I honestly couldn't begin to tell you where I'd have to go......or how far I'd have to drive to hunt public land.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or head to the Mountains

Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Closest one to me is 1+ hours. There's more private land (opportunities)available to me than public......and every spot I hunt is within walking distance of my back door. If I NEEDED a place to hunt.....I'm sure I'd have looked into these places.

No need. Here....it's easier to gain access to private land.

Thanks, though, GR8.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted both during bow season. I have always had plenty of private land to hunt, but my perspective is the WMA was more of a challenge. I harvested some deer, but it turned me off as soon as I realized how much easier my club and private land was to hunt. My reason for this include:abilityto fix permanent stands, food plots, pour corn, not worry about stolen stands, and nobody in my hunting area. I see ALOT more deer and harvest a couple more bucks during bow season. Another reason I have started bowhunting myprivate landis my club is 70,00 acres, that is a predominantly deer dog hunting club thatnot many bowhunt and the WMA is highly pressured.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: shed33

How many whitetail shows do you see being made on public grounds....

That says it all right there.

The public land around here gets POUNDED.........it amazes me that any deer survive sometimes. The gun season is relentless drives and non stop pressure..........if something is walking around in the daytime it is dead meat. Even bow season has trucks all over the roads.

When I go and hunt on farms and other private lands it is like night and day.

Like shed said it is all about pressure..............the more pressure the harder your job becomes.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 PM

godddddddd i want private land lol. allthis talk bout being able to place stands where ya want and all that, and i know its all true. it sucks to have to haul in a treestand at 4am and hope someone isnt already in your same tree, or withing 100 yards for that matter. i have one more chance of some private land, but i got to call the guy and he doesnt like to call people back.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM

I won't dispute that public hunting is typically tougher--BUT--last year I had more encroachment than I ever experienced hunting public land on 4 different private tracts. It seems that poachers show no distinction. my season was completely ramrodded by these low lifes.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 AM

I found a piece of Public land last year that was only 144 acres. I talked to the guy that managed that piece, along with several others, and he told me to try it out and he thought I would be pleasantly suprised.

Well, I hunted that piece of property exclusively last year and never saw another hunter. I guess people look at the small acreage, for public land, and think it will be packed and by pass it.

Didn't fill the tag last year but I had a blast chasing one of the bruisers that I spotted, it also didn't help too much that my son was born on October 15 so I kinda wasn't as fanatical as I normally am.

Quick Reply: difficulty of private vs. public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.