Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gut shot question

Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default gut shot question

I was curious how fatal gut shots are on deer. I know that if you suspect a gut shot, you need to back out for a minimum of around 8 hours. Will the shot eventually kill the deer? If the deer is not pushed will is simply bed down because its not feeling well? What does the blood trail look like on a gut shot deer?

Thanks fellas
Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: gut shot question

Yes the deer will die. The problem with a blood trail (which may have greenish / brown matter, or stomach contents in it) is it usually clogs with stomach matter and peters out pretty quickly. That's why we try not to pursue them too fast, because there will be no trail to follow.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Yeah, like GR8 said. Theres not much of a blood trail. One good indication of a gut shot is the deer will hunch up when shot and walk off (most cases). You're right though, leave the deer for at least 6-8 hours...overnight would be ideal depending on weather, etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a gut shot on one of my deer before and it took it forever to die. I felt horrible for making such a bad shot. We didnt not have much of a blood trail to follow up on so it took us a while to find it. It did eventually die which was a reflief to me when we found it.

I found that pic of what a gut shot blood trail looks like, and it usually has a bunch of brown chunky stuff in it as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gut shot will always kill the deer. If the blood loss does not kill it, then it will die from a terrible infection. It certainly is not a pleasant way to go. Animals tend to go to water, and will also tend to avoid strenuous activities like jumping fences or in many cases even walking up hill. If you lose the blood trail, check all fence lines especially in the lowest lying areas such as a creek bed or a small ravine, etc. Like someone already mentioned, if you see particulate in the blood, you hit the stomach or the large intestine and are in for a long day, but the deer is in for a much longer one.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:05 AM

Blood trail for a gut shot will be slim to nothing.

When you have a gut shot you are not hitting any vitals.. You need to leave him or her be for as long as you possibly can. 8 hours is a good min amount of time. Overnite...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM

I have never gut shot a deer and hope to never do it but... If you do wont leaving the deer out over night (in say october/november when it can be warm out) spoil the meat?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I'm not going to vouch for this picture, but I wouldn't be so quick to say 100% of "gut shot" deer are going to die.

The story behind this picture was that an individual shot this deer one year, and a friend of his shot the deer (and killed him) the next. There was still a scar on this deers back, but otherwise seemed OK.

No matter what, it makes me a little more careful field dressing a deer.

BTW, read John Trouts book on Finding Wounded Deer, an intestine hit requires much more then 8 hours.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Countryboy45683

I have never gut shot a deer and hope to never do it but... If you do wont leaving the deer out over night (in say october/november when it can be warm out) spoil the meat?

All depends on temperature..

Def. a lose / win situation when it comes to a gut shot.

Quick Reply: gut shot question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.